VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 an' all that
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: 2009 an' all that Reply with quote

Success and the new (or not so new) Voice Actor

It’s day one of your new career as THE Voice Actor for 2009 and beyond. Well, what are you going to do? Here’s the news headline- You have a 95% chance of never making a single penny, cent or coin the currency of your choice - Well, what are you going to do? Here an idea for you, start chipping away at that number. Get it down to 94%, 84%, 42%, 21%, 10%, 5%, 2.5%, right the way down to “Hey I got paid today, have a booking tomorrow and the day after is looking pretty good too!” How are you going to do that? Here are your starters.

1 – Write down the answer to the following question. Why should anyone hire me?
When you made your claims to greatness have a look at the claims made by the Voice Actors you admire. Do they blow yours out of the water? They do don’t they? Ok, two options here, get your heroes to revise their claims or you revise yours. Promise something you can deliver not something you think you can deliver. Keep it clear, clean, concise and simple.

2 – You’ve made your promise now prove you are able to deliver on your website, on your demos and in everything you say and do. People need to be made comfortable with the prospect of hiring you, confident in your ability to deliver what they want.

3 – Are you connecting, networking, “adding as friends”, making contacts. STOP IT! Unless you know what YOU are giving to each connection, person you network, “befriend” or with whom you make a contact. A hand should be out to give not receive.

4 – (Read this in you best Irish accent) Stop talking sh*te! People are too polite to tell you that they know you’re trying to make yourself sound more important than the unedited truth would reveal but you should not mistake good manners for ignorance. We can all name many movie trailer voices who have never voiced a movie trailer, national TV commercial voices who’ve never voiced what is commonly accepted as a national TV commercial. I’m surprised that Neumann haven’t done an audit because there appears to be more U87s in VO home studios than have been sold.

Say who you are, where you are and what you are. No one who really matters will think badly of you if you are not really Don La Fontaine’s identical twin Sandra.

5 – Don’t be a VO bore. Interested people are interesting so make sure you walk away from any chat/conversation/exchange knowing more about the person than they know about you. If you must do the “I’m a Voice actor” thing, tell stories and make them entertaining.

6 – Work on your brand! Do you really know what that means? If you responded yes you’re either deluded or a fibber. My brand is Philip Banks, yours is your name and the mention of your name automatically creates an association in the minds of people who hear it with a sound and the fact that you are a Voice Over.

Do you keep coffee hot in a Thermos? No, you keep it hot in a vacuum flask. When Setanta Sport were looking for a promo voice a producer I know was asked to attend a meeting and Andrew being Andrew got bored in about 5 minutes. He wrote something on a piece of paper, threw it across the table.

“Call him, he’ll make himself available and he’ll do the job well” he then left. On the piece of paper was my name and number. If you feel that being know as Dave “Knife crime in the 1850’s” Zweiwskinszca works for you then go with it.

7 – Do not be market follower or try to be a market leader, make your own way by being a market maker. If you make a job for you then it is YOUR job and no one else can take it.

8 – Focus on one thing and one thing only – YOUR VOICE. In so doing you eliminate competition. Don’t work too hard selling yourself to people looking for A voice, work smart by encouraging people to think of YOUR VOICE ….That’ll be branding again.

9 – The old ones are the best so remember this – You practise failure or success by the day so ensure that you do something every day for your Voice Over career. Keep a record of what you do and of the progress you make.

We all have bad days, let them happen. If things start to get on top of you talk to someone. If you don’t feel you have a friend with a big enough shoulder then consider me one and pick up the phone or get me to call you.

(you may have already read this part)
10 – Build some inner strength. As Voice Over people we have a major problem, we do our jobs because we love the sound of our own voice, believe we are right for anything and when we get feedback which is at odds with that the part of us which bruises so easily, the ego, gets another whack. What do we do? Change the world? No, it won't work. Change yourself? Unlikely. One option remains - Endurance training. Allow yourself to be hit until you don't feel the punches and deconstruct your greatness.

The first part is easy, you simply put yourself "out there" and enough people will come out swinging. We don't hit back we just smile and take what's coming. Eventually you're prepared for anything and you realise that it is impossible to be offended by someone who's opinion you don't value.

The second part ........not so easy. The path to inner enlightenment. Tell you why you suck, really suck, are awful. Don't make stuff up, be brutally honest. Ignore equipment, settings, room and all the clutter. It's you in a room with your worst critic - YOU. Whether you swear or not his or her opening word should be crude " ***** No. Here's why!"

If you do this properly. Any situation, any session, any email, any phone call may knock you for a split second but your recovery time will make you come across as the stylish "go to" pro voice time after time.

Happy New Year. May 2009 be for you full of dreams come true and a few surprises along the way.

Last edited by Philip Banks on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that. It may well be the best thing you've written in 2008.
Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip

Yesterday morning I did a telephone interview with a reporter working on a “Voice Over/Acting” story for a US national trade publication .

I suggested to her some names of folks who I feel are notable and who also share with others. Your name was one of the ones I mentioned.

With this post you proved me right.

Thank You

Ed
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean no more bragging?
Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil

Thanks Philip for this wonderful piece.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Philip.

If there was a hug emoticon available on the board, I'd use it here.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resolution: get more thumb tacks.
I'm out since I used most of 'em for posting printed copies of Banksey's Sage Advice Wink

I like #7 because
a.) it compels me to have another cuppa Coffee and
2.) it compels me to reach for that "branding" whereby my name is scratched on a scrap of paper, then tossed to someone across the table, from which I get a call. Love that.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don G. wrote:
Thank you for that. It may well be the best thing you've written in 2008.

It's certainly the most recent.
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Pinto... this is being printed as I type. Thank you Banksey!!!!!!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2009 an' all that Reply with quote

That was awesome, of course. But this part made me tear up a little! You are a great, cuddly bunny of a man, PB! I wish I could give you a new year's hug right now!
Philip Banks wrote:
If you don’t feel you have a friend with a big enough shoulder then consider me one and pick up the phone or get me to call you.

FaffCon
TalkerTees
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2009 an' all that Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

Say who you are, where you are and what you are. No who really matters will think badly of you if you are not really Don La Fontaine’s identical twin Sandra.

I would pay real money to see a picture of that person.

Or of Don in a dress.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
voicy1stef
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rack up one more for the I love Philip club. As usual these are brilliant. You're so right, we don't need to collect names, etc. on networking sites just for the sake of it. Thanks for the reminder!

One more tree going down, I'm printing this out too! Smile

British-American voice artist based in England for the past umpteen years. I say, has it really been that long!

http://www.stefsvoice4u.co.uk
Podcast: Positive Affirmations and Audio Stories, on iTunes, Spotify etc.
paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Philip.
And a Happy New Year to you.

Paddyo
www.thepatrickoconnor.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something(s) to think about for the new year ... thanks philip.

Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2009 an' all that Reply with quote

LOVE it!

And BTW:
Philip Banks wrote:
....pick up the phone or get me to call you.

Been there, done that...and I thank you for it Philip! Laugh Kiss

Peace to YOU!

L.
RD Levine
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Philip for this sage advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: