VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend Best Hybrid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick reed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Recommend Best Hybrid Reply with quote

My gear buying philosophy is "try to buy the right thing the first time, even if it does cost more". So, with that in mind, which hybrid would you recommend?

I really don't know a thing about them. I would prefer to insert it at the wall jack rather than at the receiver... and I want it to work with just about any type of phone (future proof). It appears that something like the JK Inline Patch or the JK Broadcast Host are just the ticket, but like I said, I don't know.

If I am barking up the wrong tree, please show me the right tree.

Thanks,
Nick
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right thing, first time: Comrex Access

The Access will work on a wide variety of wired and wireless circuits, including:

• POTS, Cable and DSL
• Wireless Network-802.11x (Wi-Fi)
• 3G Data Networks,1x EV-DO, UMTS
• High Speed Cellular Data Networks—1xRTT, EDGE
• Public internet - Uses Revolutionary BRIC Technology - designed to overcome the innate unreliability of the public Internet
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iSpeek, coming soon to a computer near you. Same thing as Comrex, but without the ISDN, or the fees of ISDN.

Add this to the mix...iSpeek is the "Digital Production Studio network", or DSPn, for short.

And iSpeek adds Instant Messaging...

Frank F

Oh, a little revisement (...is that a word?) iSpeek is all software, no hardware involved, other that YOUR soundcard, DAW and computer... and it costs a LOT less.

FF
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where might one find out more about "iSpeek"?

Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
marko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
iSpeek, coming soon to a computer near you. Same thing as Comrex, but without the ISDN, or the fees of ISDN.

Add this to the mix...iSpeek is the "Digital Production Studio network", or DSPn, for short.

And iSpeek adds Instant Messaging...

Frank F

Oh, a little revisement (...is that a word?) iSpeek is all software, no hardware involved, other that YOUR soundcard, DAW and computer... and it costs a LOT less.

FF

Frank, Have I said before that I cannot WAIT for this? Laugh

Please keep us posted on the progress.

Mark
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

Glad to hear it's coming to market! I love the software solutions, but I have to admit, at this moment in time I'm partial to the stand-alone hardware units because they're OS independent. That's more or less transitional on my part.

Kevin
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep you all posted on what's going on... I am putting the finishing touches on a new GUI (some Beta Testers thought the current incranation was too BIG, so I am making it smaller and more efficient).

A brochure should be available soon, with all the pertinent details and some Beta Testers opinions...

I will put a post here (on the VO-BB ) if DB will let me, as to where you can download the .pdf.

Thanks for your interest.

Marko, I shall endeavor to keep all informed as relevant information comes available.

Kevin, I understand your desire for a hardware version... and I can't "let the cat out of the bag" too soon, but if that is your desire, I have it on good information - there will be a unique solution for folks like yourself within the next little while.

shhh, don't say this too loud, it's code named "iSpeek Phoenix". Don't tell anyone O.K.?

Frank F
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

I understand if you cannot be precise, but approximately when will iSpeek be available; a week, a month, two or three months?

Nick
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere between 60 to 90 days...

All of the business side of things needs to be accomplished, and the Government side of things, and the network, and the....

I can tell you this much... it will be fun!

Frank F
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

I have a friend who's used a JK product (the $499 model.. I don't have the spec sheet handy atm) and has had some trouble with it. If I recall correctly, most of the problems have been with the caller being able to hear him well. He uses it mostly for phone interviews for an internet station.

The Access makes me all giddy and stuff, but I'll have to add that to my "someday" list.

I'm rather new to dealing with the actual hardware, so I'm curious as to the drawbacks of just picking up a TI-101 from Ebay for a couple bills and using that. If anyone has experience with that device, I'd love to hear it.

Greg
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Greg.

The $500 unit (the Broadcast Host) is supposed to be significantly better than the Inline Patch, so that is sad news. I think the best solution for me is to wait for Frank's iSpeek.

However, in the meantime, I need a simple and cheap way to to interface my mixer and telephone. I want to take some tele-classes and I want to use my headphones and mic, rather than the telephone receiver.

I do have a cheap headset that I have used but the noise cancelling mic sounds weird to me and results in my delivery being too loud.

Nick
ross douglas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great new product is Source Connect-from Source Elements (their web page).
No ISDN fees downloadable software so you're recording computer to computer . I use mine through an Mbox. with USB into the computer.
It ain't cheap but you download it and store it in a dongle in the back of your computer which can be transferred to another computer.
You can even test it out for 15 days to see if you like it.
The catch of course is that both parties need to have the technology but it makes such perfect sense and is ultimately so cost effective that it's catching on.
You need at least a 300-400 upload speed but that's pretty common.
And their support is great. They'll patiently work with you til your system is working. ( Some systems need the firewall adjusted a bit.)
The result- I came through clear as a bell to clients thousands of miles away
Cheers,

Ross Douglas
www.rossdouglas.com
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ross douglas wrote:
A great new product is Source Connect-from Source Elements (their web page).

Hey Ross... how are things in my former home town? (Well, not actually Point Bob, but Ladner...)

SC is a pretty good product, however the issues with it to date (n my opinion) are...

ProTools Only - I'm a PT user, but not everybody is... if I wanted to connect to a studio that doesn't run PT, it's not an option! This is very limiting!

Bandwidth - Both sides must have a very solid broadband connection that is consistent in speed at the bitrates you mentioned

Availability - There are still a very limited number of users worldwide, which means that you either have to bridge (VERY Expensive option), or your client has to shell out the dough, or if they will be a solid and well paying client, you may have to shell out the dough.

I like the functionality of SC and was satisfied with the quality during the trial period, however until the transfer speeds over the internet become more consistent and and reliable, I fear the it will not take hold as a common piece of equipment.

Wating with baited breath for Franks new toy!
tombrom
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Source Connect Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm Thomas and I'm very new to this site - its great!

I have used Source Connect in a session going from Sydney to Adelaide (c1000 miles) and the quality was outstanding. As good if not better than ISDN. I think its quite expensive c$US800?? But in the long run this is the way to go, whether its this program or a similar DSL program.
Anyway, I think it will definitely catch on in Australia, as at least half of all studios use Pro Tools.

I was told that Adobe Audition is big in the States? Is that right?
We don't use it too much here.

All the best,
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Adobe Audition is a very popular recording/editing application. I use it pretty much exclusively, although I long for the days of ProTools (I use Windows 2000, and PT won't run on it.).

Adobe was once called Cool Edit Pro, which was a favorite of many for years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: