VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTP server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: FTP server Reply with quote

As part of payment for an upcoming project I've got the opportunity to barter for the use of server space for FTP up/downloads.

I've never had this in the past since I typically either do live ISDN sessions or phone patch where I'm able to send the VO or produced spot via email.

Question is: How many of you offer this service and, if so, how much do you use it. Also how much space would you recommend I have available for files.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,

I use mine quite extensively. I have a secure .ftp site which is password protected.

I send files and receive files via .ftp as .aiff, .wav, .avi, mpeg, .mp3, etc.

Your .ftp site should be as big as the average week or month of files you send in the format in which you normally send the files, doubled. I tend to delete files after one week so as to allow for more space on the .ftp server. I feel that if the client has not downloaded the file by then he/she can call and I will then re-place the item on the site.

Have fun and enjoy the opportunity to send or receive larger files than you might be able to via email.

Frank F
Chuck Davis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank.

How much space do you have? I ask since most of the files I send around are mp3. If I was sending .wav or .aiff though the space needed would be much greater.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct on the .aiff/.wav side of things...

Personally I have 120 gig on my .ftp server. O.K. before that scares you into submission, I own a video production studio, an audio studio, and also have my personal voice over studio in my home. I have a personal/private server which is hosted in my studio and dedicated to JUST .ftp.

Many folks have around half a gig, some ISP's offer around 100 to 200 meg which is fine for most .mp3 and small graphics personal use .ftp sites with enough space for small .wav's or .aiff's such as commercials or short narrations.

Frank F
johnbailey
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have 500 or 600 MB of FTP space. For reference, one minute of mono audio is about 5 MB, so a 30-minute narration would require about 150 MB. I usually take the files down after the client downloads them.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an in-house (home-studio) server runnning, with a 10 gig hard drive. FTP and WWW server is used primarily for delivery of content in whatever file format a client desires. I can easily increase disc capacity, passwd secure a directory, etc.

CC
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my infamous "media" server, which contains a terrabyte of store, not that I'll ever use it all. It contains all of my sound libraries and an FTP server for clients. I'm also using Verizon's FTTP with a static IP, so it's pretty straight forward.

Chuck, it's a great life saver, but I swear you have to send out monthly password reminders for some clients!

Kevin
Chuck Davis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Honestly..you guys rock. Thanks for all of the advice/feedback!

Charlie and Kevin. Here's a question. I've got enough parts laying around to build a basic PC that might be able to work as a file server.

I've seen situations where machines are built based on a pretty basic platform. I've got a Celeron 677 with 256ram and a 120gig drive to spare..along with other needed junk like graphics cards and the like.

Is it possible that I might be able to build and maintain my own server with something like this?
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. File servers which do not have 100s of concurrent connections do not need much hardware, just a monitor and storage space to authenticate users and serve up files.

If you are using Windows 2000 or XP and do not believe you will have more than 10 concurrent users, Black Moon FTP Server is an excellent, easy to use product. More than 10 concurrent users requires registration.

One of the features of this product is really cool. It allows the flexibility of combining multiple directories into one virtual directory. In the login's profile, you simply state the path on your machine and where you want to "mount" it on the user's share. This lets you mount multiple directories into one virtual directory.

For instance, you could mount all of your computer's drives as the root of your FTP login, so you have access to everything on your machine, that's saved me numerous times. Client logins can be configured for simple directory access or if you have a very organized file system you may want your clients to have access to more information --

/ - (F:\clients\YourClientA

+-- /scripts - (V:\scripts\YourClientA

+-- /downloads - (S:\projects\YourClientA

Lots of features, lots of options and free.

Hope this helps!
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I want my own FTP server, I assume I have to concern myself with firewalls, etc., something I don't particularly want to get into if I don't have to. So, bearing that in mind, are there 'shared' FTP servers around that you can rent space on?
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: FTP Alternative Reply with quote

SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer wrote:
If I want my own FTP server, I assume I have to concern myself with firewalls, etc., something I don't particularly want to get into if I don't have to. So, bearing that in mind, are there 'shared' FTP servers around that you can rent space on?

Hi Elaine (and everyone,)

I discovered a neat alternative to having your own FTP server...you might find it useful as well. It's called Online File Folder

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/email/vsdb_landing.asp?se=%2B&ci=270

and it works great...and maybe even better...it's CHEAP! I choose the 1000MB product which is only 9.95 a year but you can get as much as you need at any time and its still reasonable.

Dave
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoDaddy is quite grand. Easy and inexpensive.

The online folder idea is a good one and 1 gig is great.

GoDaddy is the host of this site, and I use the extra server space to create directories for client download.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
GoDaddy is quite grand. Easy and inexpensive.

The online folder idea is a good one and 1 gig is great.

GoDaddy is the host of this site, and I use the extra server space to create directories for client download.

DB and gang...

Thanks for identifying GoDaddy as the provider of Online File Folder. I meant to do that and had a brain freeze I guess. Anyway, speaking of GoDaddy I use them for several things and have never been disappointed ESPECIALLY with their customer service! Not that I have had problems...I haven't. GoDaddy is a standout because they have LIVE, INTELLIGENT, PEOPLE take your calls 24/7.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: