VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHure KSM32

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tway12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: SHure KSM32 Reply with quote

Hey folks,
Anyone here have experience with this particular mic or the KSM44? Looking to add more quality to my mic cabinet. Thanks
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us what mic(s) have already? Have you tested this mic? Is there an audio place where you can take your favorite headphones and try it out? What is your studio setup? A condenser mic will pickup everything in the room. A cardioid mic is more directional and will be more forgiving. The KSM44 seems a bit pricy (to me) at $700 at Sweetwater. Nowdays you can get some really decent mics for under $200 until you buy that Neumann. <g>

Have you considered a Studio Projects B1 or C1? I think they're fantastic for the $$$ and have a very smooth sound. I've heard the AT2020 is a great souning mic.

Then, there's the mother of all deals, the Marshall MXL990 at $60 at Musicians Friend. (the web site's down at the moment) I think Craig was saying that he replaced one of his expensive mics with this one. I gave one to my Godson for his home studio and he loves it. I can't get him to part with it to let me try it here. <g>

Understand that this is just my opinion and your voice may sound very different.

Hope this helps!
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a KSM44 for Christmas from myself Smile

I love it, though I have only my Marshall V69 to compare it with.

What is really great is the roll off switch, and my recordings are much cleaner.
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been posted many times that mic's are truly an "individual" thing, what works great for one doesn't guarantee that it will work great for another. I have my preferences that I have had the pleasure of using at several recording studios however, they are well over my budget so a couple of weeks ago I thought I would head down to Guitar Center and try some out. When I talked with the sales clerk about wanting to try some out in the store he said it was against company policy due to "health" considerations. Gasp Now I didn't go in there with all my belongings in a shopping cart nor do I think I look like I have leprosy so it sort of blew me away. I didn't feel very warm and fuzzy when he talked about the return policy. Any thoughts on demoing mic's? I know that Musicians’ Friend is the same company but I am curious if anyone has had any hassles with returning products, specifically mic's?
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Ash in NYC allows mic testing - though I do agree, the idea of purchasing a mic which has already been drooled over is a bit of a turn off.

I did try out my KSM44 before purchase at Sam Ash.

And my bust Marshall V69, which I purchased from Sam Ash, was not returnable. However, Marshall fixed it FOC.

There is a thread called "mic Shoot out" somewhere on the forum, which has samples read through LOTS of mics, and whuch gave me a list of a few mics I wanted to personally try.
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffK1 wrote:
Any thoughts on demoing mic's? I know that Musicians’ Friend is the same company but I am curious if anyone has had any hassles with returning products, specifically mic's?

I bought a mic online from Musician's Friend and they said that they would take it back. I got an RMA number from them but I never returned it. I decided to keep it after all.

Nick
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SHure KSM32 Reply with quote

tway12 wrote:
Hey folks,
Anyone here have experience with this particular mic or the KSM44? Looking to add more quality to my mic cabinet. Thanks

Why not just get a Neumann TLM103 and be done with it?

Nick
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the mic...I want that head gear that the guy is wearing on your avatar!
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I want that mic in your avitar. Smile
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
Jeff,

I want that mic in your avitar. Smile

And you shall have it, for $6000-$8000 at www.micshop.com (they're all out at the moment).

"They call me yuck mouth ... 'cause I don't brush...." GC is a joke. I've seen kids grabbing other kid's suckers and using them without getting sick, in fact, couples share desserts and complete meals and restaurants don't get sued for health violations .... reminds me of the very disturbing time when I was playing at an underground club in Cambridge, MA, one of the guys there grabbed the bones from my buffalo wings after I had ALREADY CLEANED THEM -- said he was a dentist and knew about something called stomach acid. The only reason GC screws potential patrons is due to lost sales from individuals attempting to produce their own recordings, buying what they deem a complete recording package from GC. You gotta love it to some degree because the same kids are the people behind the counters at GC now.

GC sells great cables.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
GC sells great cables.

So does Tweeter.
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want that mic in your avitar.

Mic??? I thought that was a breathalyzer! cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: