VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beheringer Composer Pro-XL Model MDX 2600

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Hammock
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Beheringer Composer Pro-XL Model MDX 2600 Reply with quote

Hi all,
Anyone familiar with this compressor?
I am in the process of negotiations on a HUGE project(well HUGE for me), and I tried to fine tune it get the best possible sound to send more samples. Well, I have now messed it up pretty good and can't figure out how to get the right settings.
If someone is compressor literate, PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

Thanks,
(Compressor illiterate) Don
audiogenic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behringer does have a support line that may point you in the right direction. Worse case scenario, take it and the mic you will be using down to a pro audio store and politely ask one of their techy guys to tune it up for you or alternatively take them both to a smaller local studio and pay someone to do it there for you. It won't be perfect (because your recording space will be a bit different), however, it's better than the predicament you are in now.
nick reed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a one knob compressor now, so I am going by memory. I don't know if this will be much help but it is a place to start. Hey, you may get lucky Wink

Start by setting the ratio somewhere between at least 2:1 and no more than 4:1. This is the "normal" ratio for VO. Select a fast attack and a slow release. Fiddle with the threshold (sorry, that's the best that I can do with that one). Increase the makeup gain if the volume has been reduced by the compression.

Nick
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,

I have a Behringer VX2496 UltraVoice mic pre/processor. I'm not sure on the layout of your unit but I bet they're similar on the compressor section.
Here's my setup:

Threshold is between -15 & -20 db (or between 9 and 10 o'clock on the knob)
Release is about 11 o'clock (between fast & medium)
Output gain is at 2 o'clock (or +13 db on the knob)
Mine has an "enhancer" knob also. I keep it turned off or fully counterclockwise to the NORM position.

On the INPUT section, the input gain is set to 11 o'clock and the master output is at 10 o'clock. I am running the output of the unit to a mixer so I adjust final output to the Echo Mia/Midi card there. I use mine with a Lawson L47FET mic. I don't know what kind of mic you have so you'll have to adjust for it. Some need hotter levels than others. But this should give you a starting point. You can do the tweaks from there.

Hope this helps!
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - let's put it up for a vote - or take a poll, or sumpin':

How many use an honest to goodness, for real, genuine electronic compressor gizmo when you record?

How many use software instead? Why?

Oh yeh - - I use software. That way, if I don't like what I get, I can "undo" and try it again.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Compression, EQ or other processing in the recording chain for me!!!

If I pooch something with the hardware settings there is absolutely NO WAY to undo them.... I use software only simply for the fact that I can remove anything in the settings that doesn't work, however if I really want the sound that I get from my outboard gear, I'll simply send the audio through it after the original recording.

I'm not an engineer and don't understand all of the finer points of how outboard gear affect the original signal, therefore I err on the side of caution.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
No Compression, EQ or other processing in the recording chain for me!!!

Hey Brian, I thought you had a PreSonus Eureka channel strip? Do you not run the mic through it before the computer?
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I do use the Presonus Eureka, but everything is on bypass (except for saturation, which I never change!)... I only use it on rare occassions for any processing. The original purchase was made to have the benefit of the compressor and eq, with the knowledge that I would rarely use it... oh yeah, the price was right as well!

My comment was definately a generalization, at times I will use the compressor and eq in the chain, but it's the exception and not the rule. My point is simply that it's safer to use software, if you don't completely understand what you're doing (which I don't!).
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
Yup, I do use the Presonus Eureka, but everything is on bypass (except for saturation, which I never change!)

Gotcha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: