VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue Snowball USB mic.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Blue Snowball USB mic. Reply with quote

Just got this baby yesterday, found out about it in the Harlan Hogan seminar and was interested as a solution to doing auditions on the road. Here's the link:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Snowball/

It has a switch on the back to change capsules from cardioid to cardioid with a -10db PAD, to omni. I haven't had much time to experiment with it, but I LOVE the way it looks! Comes with a cute little tripod stand. I'll probably use it with Sound Forge (the $70 version which I'm now using as a demo). I might actually be able to get out of town now and not be freaking about the auditions I'm missing.

As an added bonus, the tech manual and the registration card (yes!) actually have humor and are fun to read.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so cute - use it well!
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like FUN Kitzie Smile Let us know how it goes.
marko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this mic last month and would up selling it a week later on ebay. In my haste to purchase it, I neglected to think it through that I would be attempting to use it with an mBox on the road. The mic has to be run through the mBox first instead of being plugged in directly to the Mac via USB.

It sure looked good, though, and I got a smokin' deal on it and the tripod. I actually made five extra bucks selling it on ebay. Just make sure you have compatible recording software before you buy one.

I take my mbox and one of my Audio Technicas with me on the road and it does just fine. I can't resist new audio gadgetry, though!
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one totally mint with cable and tripod ready to sell--Never taken on road, only tested--125 plus shipping)--sells for 160.
marko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I got a smokin' deal! That's a great deal.
macbodock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Blue Snowball USB mic. Reply with quote

kitstern wrote:
Just got this baby yesterday, found out about it in the Harlan Hogan seminar and was interested as a solution to doing auditions on the road.
kitstern,
The SnowBall is a very cool USB studio microphone and the quality is not bad at all. I find that I use mine with the switch in position 2 engaging the -10db pad. The main problem that I see is issues getting the software to see and use the SnowBall. I think that it will serve you well on the road.

Kindest Regards,
macbodock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Samson new USB Microphone..... Reply with quote

About the time B.L.U.E. came out with the SnowBall, Samson came out with the C01U. I just found out that Samson came out with 2 more USB microphones. The first one has a switch to change from omni to cardioid or figure-8 pick-up patterns. I did not see anthing about a -10db pad on it. The new microphone is the Samson C03U! Also out is the handheld Q1U - Dynamic USB Microphone.

Kindest Regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit old, but just wondering (I've read the pdf manual and can't find an answer) how do you monitor audio with the Snowball plugged in?

say in a multi track situation, (I'm a musician too) I have the backing tracks and then record my sax track, how is the monitoring, latency etc.

I picked up a little iMic thingy for quick and dirty and the record quality isn't that bad, but while I can hear the backing track, the track I am recording does not come thru the headphone jack. Frown
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Samson CO1U I love it....it gives me a flat neutral sound leaving me the ability to EQ any way I wish. The noise floor is really good on it. The problem is you can't monitor your recording through your headsets. I just found out from Frank that the workaround to that is to buy a second sound card to use as your output card and use your best card as the input card. Otherwise you can't get full duplex because it's USB. I've heard the Snowball and Samson are comparable to eachother. I'm assuming that the two sound card idea would work for the Snowball.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is... if you have the SnoBall or Samson, use another card, i.e.: a Sound Blaster or something, as your output device. Then you can have duplex.

Otherwise the Samson and SnoBall are their own "sound card" - so to speak - from the USB settings.

Depending on your recording software, you will be able to select both input and output devices. Select the Samson or SnoBall as input, and the other card for output. Therefore giving you the capability to monitor the record input and have full duplex "capability".

Otherwise, the Samson and SnoBall take over and are simplex only... record or monitor. not both at the same time.

Frank F
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank, I thought that might work, will have to give it a shot. might be an issue with latency for music though, but only one real way to find out! Laugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: