VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-Box as Default Sound Device

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: M-Box as Default Sound Device Reply with quote

Hey there all you PC Mbox Users...

I'm trying to get windows XP home to recognize the mbox as a default audio device for both record and playback.

I've downloaded the most recent asio driver (v6.11) as well as the most recent wave driver (v6.11), in fact I've even tried using the DIGI MME Helper and it won't work... I was under the impression that in "Sound
and Audio Devices" in "Control Panel" mbox would show up as a possible "default device" just like my other sound cards...

Windows XP will recognize the m-box as a "sound playback" device but not a "sound recording" device. I'm positive that Digi had made it possible to do this, but for some really wierd reason, my system won't allow for it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks to all!
CWToo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mbox needs the Pro Tools software and the Pro Tools software needs the Mbox. Their symbiotic relationship precludes them from being your default sound device.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Chris...

If I remember correctly from high school science, there is a very fine line between symbiotic and parasitic relationships! Foot in Mouth

What has me really confused about this whole thing is that I thought exactly the same thing until I read about the asio and wave drivers on the digi website... Here's a portion of what digi has posted on their website regarding the files...

It's at www.digidesign.com then support and then on the right hand side column under the heading "Digidesign Drivers for Third-Party Applications"

Digidesign ASIO Driver & Digidesign WaveDriver

Digidesign ASIO Driver

The Digidesign ASIO Driver is a single-client, multichannel sound driver that allows third-party audio programs that support the ASIO Driver standard to record and play back through the following Digidesign hardware:

Pro Tools|HD audio interfaces
Digi 002
Digi 002 Rack
Mbox 2
Mbox
Full-duplex playback of 24- and 16-bit audio are supported at sample rates up to 48 kHz, depending on your Digidesign hardware and ASIO client application.

The Digidesign ASIO Driver provides the following numbers of input and output channels:

Up to 8 channels of input and output with Pro Tools|HD systems
Up to 18 channels of input and output with Digi 002 and Digi 002 Rack
Up to 4 channels of input and 2 channels of output with Mbox 2
Up to 2 channels of input and output with Mbox
The ASIO Driver is not multi-client. Only one application at a time can use the ASIO Driver. Be sure to disable the Windows system sounds. It is also recommended that you use a separate sound card for games or other general work.

The ASIO Driver cannot be used if another application on the system is sending audio to Digidesign hardware through the Digidesign Wavedriver. If your system has both the Wavedriver and ASIO Driver installed be sure to disable Windows system sounds. It is also recommended that you use a separate sound card for games or other general work.

For more information, see the following document included with the download:

Digidesign ASIO Driver Usage Guide (81 k)
Applications

The following programs have been tested with the Digidesign ASIO Driver v7.0:

Pro Tools Ignition Pack
Applied Acoustics Lounge Lizard v2
Propellerhead Reason 3.04
Live 4.1x
Cubase SX3
Sonic Foundry Acid Pro 5.x
Steinberg Wavelab 4.x

WTF ??? Am I reading this completely incorrectly or what? I know that this goes against everything we have known about digi and their willingness to allow other applications to use thier hardware, but the way that I read this it's saying that I can use my mbox to both record and monitor using a 3rd party application... However, what I am experiencing right now with my audio settings is exactly in line with what you have already said.

I don't get it!

Okay.... here's an update that just came from the DUC as I was typing this out...

"The wavedriver, which is the driver that windows uses to access the mBox for default devices, is playback only. There is no way to get the mbox to be the default recording device for windows. You can record with programs that use the ASIO drivers, but windows is not one of them."

That sucks! Oh well, at least I have my answer.

Thanks Chris.
pmdiaz23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know whats going on with your setup, but I use my MBOX 1 for Sondforge and Acid with no problems..

What software are you trying to use with it?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you know why I am not a big fan of DigiDesign or ProFools...

There are a few other programs which hold hostage your OS...sometimes due to the fact that they want you to use their propitary software, and others because they want you to use the native OS it was designed for... such as MAC... they only give you a litle bit of connectivity if it's Windows...

If you like DD/PT, then keep it and use it... if you wish to use other programs to explore the world of audio and video... buy another sound card... and choose if you wish to keep the MBox or not.

Remember, DD/PT will only be able to use the DD/PT propritary sound cards... so another sound card will NOT work with DD/PT - only the other programs you wish to explore and use.

Sorry for the bad news about DD/PT/MBox...

Frank F
CWToo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmdiaz23 wrote:
Don't know whats going on with your setup, but I use my MBOX 1 for Sondforge and Acid with no problems..

What software are you trying to use with it?

He's trying to make his computer use it as the default audio device--like for all the system beeps and clicks--but the Mbox wasn't made for that.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWToo wrote:

He's trying to make his computer use it as the default audio device--like for all the system beeps and clicks--but the Mbox wasn't made for that.

No!! I could care less about system sounds... I'm trying to use my current audio setup with an ip based telephone type solution so that I can have cheap international long distance....

Anyway, at this point it doesn't matter.... mbox will not work with a non asio and wave driver compliant platform and the software that I was going to use doesn't support asio and wave driver...

It was a good thought while I had it, but a cheap little mic and my existing sound care will have to be good enough and should do the trick nicely, I just wanted to save myself a couple of bucks if I could use the existing hardware that I have!

Thanks guys!
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

In previous revisions of ProTools software, DigiDesign 001 days, it was "either or" - meaning you either used the ASIO driver or the WAV Driver. I full well understand they're using a different driver today, but I recall a post to DUC from a DigiDesign employee stating if you wanted to use the WAV driver back up a few revisions. I'm sure it's dated information at this time, but it would not surprise me if it wasn't.

Get a Skype phone ... it's easier.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: