VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Printer Not Cooperating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: New Printer Not Cooperating Reply with quote

Last week my Epson EPL-8000 printer refused to power up after only 14 years of flawless service. The 1-yr old Epson CX5400 was low on ink. And MCM has not yet sprung for a 2nd monitor for the sound booth and is still reading from paper scripts Frown

The professionals don't fix laser printers any more. Burns my grits, since it probably just needs a power supply. The printer is now sitting on hubby's "Hundred-Year Bench" where things go to get fixed around here.

So I got a new cheap little HP 1020. The installation CD tells you how to do all the stuff you already know how to do, like remove the shipping tape and put in the paper and plug it in, but not the less easy stuff like getting it actually to work. The installer got into a loop and I finally had to X out, but not before being told that installation wasn't complete and did I really want to do that. The HP website was no help at all.

I went to the Control Panel (Windows XP ) to install the printer that way. I did manage to get it "installed", at least to the point that when I try to print something I can choose the new printer. But it doesn't print. I also tried using the USB cable for the Epson CX5400 and plugging the HP into that port, but that didn't work either. I've run out of ideas, and since HP isn't available by phone until Monday (despite saying on their website that they're available by phone 24 hrs/day for most things) and their online troubleshooting tells me to select my printer from the drop-down box and the only choice is "select your printer" - I thought I would come here just in case some clever person had 1) time on their hands 2) ideas. Otherwise I'll have to write some scripts out by hand tonight - serve me right for not getting on the stick and putting a monitor in the sound room.

But, at least I backed up my hard drive yesterday Smile
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for crying out loud. I just re-ran the set-up CD and this time it worked. Sure, after I did the work on my own of adding the printer through the control panel, NOW it gets off its lazy butt and installs it.

I have yet to see whether I can get the newer Epson printer to work again, now it's my turn to be lazy. Everything that needs to be plugged in around here seems to have its fanny up against the wall or requires that I crawl underneath the desk through thick curtains of cobwebs to get at the ports/jacks.

Grumble.

Or, to use the technical term,

Bwah.

btw the new printer is wicked fast. I guess there has been some progress in 14 years.

Last edited by mcm on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary,

I'm on L.A., using an iMac now. So, what I'll write is from memory. My personal RAM may have missing bits-bytes! Wink

I'm assuming you're in the XP world -- or at least the Windows environs.

The printer you have is, most likely, USB. First, go to the Control Panel, then select Printer and Other Hardware. Delete the printer. Delete and and every other printer that's displayed.

Disconnect the USB cable.

Reboot the machine (I don't know if that does anything but it's a superstitious behavior I've developed with Windows).

You machine should boot up and if you check the Control Panel, Printer and Other Hardware, you should see nothing.

Now, you should be at baseline. Plug in the USB cable to your computer and the new printer. You should hear a "blip blop" when the USB detects the new device. Even if you don't get a sound that indicates the new device has been detected ...

Reboot, again.

The machine should now (for sure) detect the new hardware. You will also be, eventuallly, prompted to select a driver. Windows XP Plug and Play will give you the option of selecting a driver from the CD that should have come with the printer. Put that CD in and let XP do its thing.

The driver should install. You should be able to do a test print.

Good luck.

C
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
Well, for crying out loud. I just re-ran the set-up CD and this time it worked. Sure, after I did the work on my own of adding the printer through the control panel, NOW it gets off its lazy butt and installs

Yea, ctrl-alt-del becomes the way to get things to work in Windows. Reboot, deinstall, reinstall. It's a tradition. I believe it will endure forever.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could take this opportunity to tell Mary to try a Mac, but I don't want to rub salt in it.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI all Mac users run on SMUG 2.4 Laugh
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
FYI all Mac users run on SMUG 2.4

Acutally Phil, I think that with the introduction of Intel to the Mac world, they've had to make some coding changes and they're now running on SMUG 3.1. However, once they see how nice a PC compnent is to work with, I think that they may have to make a fundamental switch all together to CROW 6.4 Laugh
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reviving this thread just to illustrate that sometimes it is better not to follow directions when installing hardware.

I've had to install this same HP 1020 printer several times lately, what with the Great System Crash of Easter 2006. I moved the printer to the kids' computer first. At the time I couldn't locate the installation disk, so when I was prompted to put it in "if this hardware came with an installation CD", I decided to interpret "if" to mean, if you can't find the durn thing, then wot the hell Archie don't put it in. The installation went flawlessly.

So now it's becoming a little old to use sneakernet to get things printed so I decided I needed to move the printer back to my area and install it in my non-DAW computer. Since I now know where all my CDs are I thoughtlessly bunged the installation disk into the CD drive when prompted to do so. MISTAKE!! ERROR!! THE BIG E LIGHTS UP ON THE SCHAEFER SCORE BOARD!! "Installation did not complete. Your new hardware may not work properly". I then reached back into the 2-week old recesses of my memory to the previous flawless installation. Turn off printer. Disconnect. Remove CD from CD drive. Look for stuff to uninstall in list of Add/Remove. Not found. Perform system restore. Start over. Stare at ceiling when prompted for CD. Click on "Next". Installation proceeds flawlessly. "Your installation is complete. Your new hardware is ready to use."

WTF, you know? Just plain, unmitigated ruddy WTF.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary...

I raise my glass to you in a salute of commiseration!

I had a wireless router crash in the last week and found out the hard way....(from Linksys support) after HOURS and HOURS of trying to get it to function that I should have NEVER used the install disk as the instructions say. Grrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!

Sometimes I feel like I've enjoyed all I can possibly endure when it comes to "technology."
Doc

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another little trick to consider from a guy who repairs computers on the side... BEFORE installing ANY programs, drivers, etc., it is wise to shut down ALL background utilities - even in XP. Especially if you're using Norton's. McAfee can be troublesome as well. I use neither because of their proprietary proclivities.

Don't just stop with the anti-virus, though. Shut down ALL running background utilities before installing anything. It will save you a lot of grief and heartache in the long run.

Is it always necessary? Absolutely not. Is it adviseable? I cannot stress how much.
donrandall

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use muttered threats and creative cussing.

It does nothing to solve the problem, but I am a traditionalist in these sorts of things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: