VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e-commerce?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: e-commerce? Reply with quote

Can anyone help me understand what exactly I need to do to?
Do I need to install my host's e-commerce program and then apply with a gateway that accepts credit cards? Does the gateway company give me a link?

I'm really confused. I don't want paypal.

Thanks for your help.
-Anthony
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

I don't see nor understand why you'd even need to install your host's e-commerce program, However, you may need to install a shopping cart. Depends on your host and your merchant account.

The merchant account should provide you with all the information you need.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all French to me... maybe even Greek.

The host has a program where you can set up a store (add products, categories, pricing, qty, etc.) that includes a shopping cart. All I needed to do was set up the details of my merchant account... but that didn't seem to make sense.

So, if I understand correctly, I need to shop around for a merchant account first and then they will most likely provide me with the details I need?

-Anthony
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's your web host?
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

Unless your host provides you with a merchant account, yes, you'll need that first.

However, if this is being setup strictly for virtual products (i.e., voiceovers), I don't understand why you'd have to jump through all these hoops??

Plus, a merchant account is going to cost you substantially more than PayPal. There's usually a setup fee, then transactions fees + monthly fees based upon the number of transactions.

I use PayPal exclusively and have never had a single problem with it. Although PayPal also charges transaction fees, it's WAY cheaper than a merchant account.

However, to each their own!
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@db: I use Interland (they pretty much suck in terms of support) which i think is now web dot com. The project I'm working on is with ixwebhosting dot com though. They have a GNU shopping cart/store proggy called osCommerce.

@Doc: I wouldn't do this for VO's - this is for a side project I'm working on where you could buy tickets for events/parties/concerts and my partner doesn't want to use ticket master so i'm looking into merchant accounts. I'm also helping another friend of mine who does surplus electronic sales and wants to set up an online store as well.

I saw that PayPal does have some options for that and they are cheaper (even for the merchant setup) than most other gateways so i'll probably use them.

-Anthony
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonyVO wrote:
@db: I use Interland (they pretty much suck in terms of support) which i think is now web dot com. -Anthony

I'm with Web.com - which was bought by Interland - and took their name. When you get through to the right person, they are very helpful, but they have cut back the support hours and you don't get to pick your support people.

I've had some major issues with one of my domains recently and needed support quickly - more quickly than they were able. They are inexpensive, but I'll be evaluating the cost vs the support and down-time issues next time around.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: I use CSI (Card Services International) for my Merchant Account. Gateway and
Shopping Cart by Linkpoint - fairly low rates - when it comes to e-commerce.

DELETED - TOO MUCH INFO... LOL

Yes, you need a Gateway and Shopping Cart, this may be provided by your host ISP or you can go outside of your ISP (like I did) to save a few cents here and there. If you deal with the Gov't, make sure your e-commerce provider can accept Level 2 and 3 cards.

Good luck

Frank F Nuke!

addendum: a Gateway provides the internet link and SSL for your Shopping Cart to operate and connect with the Merchant Account provider (i.e.: Visa, MasterCard, AmEx, Discover, etc.). PayPal provides both a secure link and gateway through their no-cost accounts connected directly through their site. For a specific Shopping Cart or special features you would need purchase the Cart seperately. Or, through their Pay Partner - you would recieve a 'Virtual Terminal' which you may use on your own PC with internet connection - to accept payment by phone, in-person, or mail - advantage - minimal.

FF

Thanks Courvo... Foot in Mouth think I got a little detailed...? Blushing (N3)

Last edited by Frank F on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

osCommerce is Open Source commerce and provides modules written by open source developers regarding retail on the internet. They are all free, but the user generally needs to modify them to their own particular needs. PM me if you'd like to get info on an osCommerce host that I use.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Glad you extrapolated the acronym, Frank...I was wondering what possible good the results of a DNA test could mean for your website.

Courvo
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't do this for VO's - this is for a side project I'm working on where you could buy tickets for events/parties/concerts and my partner doesn't want to use ticket master so i'm looking into merchant accounts.

I recently bought online tickets to a local film festival at a site called brownpapertickets dot com, "the first & only fair-trade ticketing service." They arrived promptly & without a hitch. Thought I'd pass it along in case you might want to check them out.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for their input and assistance.

i'll PM you, Doc from the studio... if i ever get out of the house today (it's the Puerto Rican Day Parade weekend coming up here in NY and EVERYone and their mom wants an afterparty radio commercial - haven't even shaved).

Later.
-Anthony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: