VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTF is this!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: WTF is this! Reply with quote

Hey there fellow Audio geeks... Wink

I'm wondering if you would mind taking a listen to this file and letingt me know if you know what might be causing the wierd rumbling... the level is pretty low, so you may need to crank up the volume a bit.

http://www.brianforrester.com/wtf.wav

The sound bit is only about 10 seconds long, but as time goes by rubmling slows down to a bit faster than a heartbeat. After about 15-minutes, it disapeared all together... now of course I can't seem to replicate the problem.

It suddenly appeard earlier tonight. I've messed with every cable in the signal chain, and the only thing that makes it go away (other than turning the power to the pre-amp off) is to unplug the microphone... but as soon as I plug the mic back in, the sound comes back. Frown The same is true as soon as I turn the pre-amp back on... back comes the rumble!

Hear's the signal chain that I'm using:

Neuman TLM 103 > Presonus Eureka Channel Strip > Mbox... that's it.

I'm certainly stumped since I've never heard this sound before out of my system. I'm hoping that it's a common problem with a quick fix, but who knows!

Any assistance would be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Brian
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to lower pitch as it progresses. Have you re-wired anything lately, like rewired power or plugged a componant into another power outlet? Is your mic cable rolled or curled? Have you tried another cable? Have you tried the Bypass button on the Compressor and the EQ of the Presonus to see if that changes anything? Is any part of your system where this is plugged in connected to television cable or a componant? Has it only happened this once?

All that wireing can be like a huge radio antenna and pick up all kinds of stuff. It almost reminds me of when you try to listen to an old AM radio in a car with bad wiring. I guess the good news is that it eventually goes away. Sorry for your trouble.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be very far off-base, and I'm no tech guy, but I don't think it's electronic-- Could it be a low-level sound that was being produced outside your house? It's almost a vibration kind of sound, maybe some work being done underground, drilling perhaps?
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...

It's definately coming from somewhere in the signal chain, since the phantom power to the mic was turned off, therefore not picking up any mechanical or man made noises....

As for the cables, things have remained the same for awhile now, however the mic cable is curled into a small loop around itself... I'll undo that and leave the cable in as straight a line as possible.

It's funny Bill, the first thing that I thought of was your previous mention of the tv cable causing wierd noises in your setup... no tv cable plugged in here, in fact no tv cable within about 15 feet.

Thanks again.

Brian
CWToo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried plugging the mic into the Mbox, using the Mbox's phantom power?

I'm assuming you've tried the other inputs on the Mbox.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for ALIENS as the cause.

Have you tried talking back to them?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is this! Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
The sound bit is only about 10 seconds long, but as time goes by rubmling slows down to a bit faster than a heartbeat. After about 15-minutes, it disapeared all together... now of course I can't seem to replicate the problem.

It suddenly appeard earlier tonight.

Have you checked around your neighborhood for any new CB or shortwave antennas? A novice could be running some tests without a dummy antenna load.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys... I appreciate all of your input!

I'm going with the damn aliens! Those little buggers get me every time... I thought that after I agreed to visit their mother ship and recieve an implant, that this kind of stuff would stop.

Wink cool

Chris, I actually plugged the line into a completely seperate sound card and still had the same sound...

Bailey, I took a look around the neighbourhood today and couldn't find any towers, even small ones... so I'm not sure.

My thoght at this point is that I have a cable too close to a power source or something. I've tried to keep the cables in as straight a run as possible, and have moved them away from any power supplies etc.. Right now the closest power cable is the one for my pre-amp and it's a good 14 inches away.

As of now, I haven't been able to reproduce the sound, so hopefully the little green guys have gone back to Xenonoville and will leave me alone! Foot in Mouth

Have a great weekend.

Brian
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is amplified... it's not 60 cycles... more like 40-45 cycles... it is definitely electrical,,,
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Sounds like something induced from a motor, Reply with quote

Sounds like something induced from a motor, but the rpm changes. Any fans (particularuy variable speed) nearby or on the same circiut?

Greg
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear two tones. The high pitched sound (like a whine) is from the MBox pre. I had an Mbox and know that sound.

My guess: the low pitched sound is an artifact from the power source. Since the Mbox is driven by USB power, and USB power is AC converted to DC, my guess is it's noise passed through the USB rectifier circuitry. The slowdown in the low frequency pulse may be due to power supply circuit/capacitance loading when turning something on. That's just my guess.

To test, I'd try plugging the Mbox into another computer to see if there's any change in the low frequency noise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: