VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my email spoofed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm coming up for air on this one....

My ISP only hosts my website, nothing else. The problem exists because there are numerous poorly managed ISPs with servers managed by ego driven IT employees failing to perform their jobs (update the services) <this is a broken record>.

What they do not want you to know is that there is a process, freely available, that will check the originating server's credentials before the email message is accepted, it's like RAID for email. If the originating server is a known spam source on public spam lists (ie. Spamhaus) or if the "from" email address's domain name and ip address do not match the public DNS records (which contain the originating domain's real ip address), the message doesn't get tagged as spam, in fact, it never gets sent because the server drops the connection immediately. Then there's the grey lists.....

Your ISP will bitch and moan that the process makes their servers slower, but the reality is that 80% of the spam THEY receive gets flushed, at a cost of one (1) to three (3) minutes for your email delivery.

Much like the Cingular commercials say: "If you don't drop spam, then I'll drop your network...."
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. I stand corrected.

Oh, and hi Allen. It's good to see another Brit on the board, although Banksey more than makes up for our limited numbers Laugh

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:

Mike, your message was correct, it does originate at one ISP, it's the others who need to configure their servers to do police the incoming email. My apologies if it seemed as though I was correcting you, I was answering the question regarding the policing....

The sad part is that so many are out to make a quick buck, they don't do what is fundamentally right.

-g
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
Mike wrote:

Mike, your message was correct, it does originate at one ISP, it's the others who need to configure their servers to do police the incoming email. My apologies if it seemed as though I was correcting you, I was answering the question regarding the policing....

-g

Rolls Eyes Yeah, I realised this earlier today...duh. These days the only way I understand things clearly is when it's presented to me in double spaced 18pt Arial @ $.30 a word.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: