VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pro-Tools M-Box 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Pro-Tools M-Box 2 Reply with quote

With the demise of Windows Service pack 1 support looming, I'm faced with the need to upgrade from my old reliable Audio-Media III/Pro-Tools combination.

There's two upgrade paths that'll get me to SP-2 compatability...and supposedly to Windows Vista next year.
Digi-002 rack (about 850 with Digi's exchange)
M-Box 2 (about half that figure)

Here's the question. Since my current config is sooo rock solid, the last thing I want is a new set-up that could bottle-neck and slow me down.

Is anyone out there using the M-Box two on Windows? What is your opinion?
I'm doing lots of VO only..but also just as much full-blown spot and imaging prod too.

Thanks!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck-- Why not keep the rig you're using?
If it ain't broke, blah blah blah.
I can see the desire to stay up-to-date on everything else, though, ,and you'll notice a remarkable speed improvement when you upgrade.

You know about the Digidesign Users' Conference, yes?

http://duc.digidesign.com/

I'm using the Mbox, generation 1.
It's solid as a rock on my Mac G4 Powerbook. I could see getting a new computer before getting a new recording setup. This one is fast and completely predictable.

The Mbox is a sweet little interface that lets you record 2 tracks at a time. You have greater range with the 002.

NO PRO TOOLS FLAMES, PLEASE.
Not singling anyone out but this means you, Frank.
xoxoxo

Last edited by Deirdre on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Davis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deeb,

Thanks for the reply.

The reason for the upgrade has mostly to do with Windows security. The updates for Service pack one end in October...leaving the Hackers favorite target even more of a sitting duck...something youz Apple folk don't have to worry much about.

Right now I'm using the 002R at 'AAF...and it tends to bottleneck once in a while...especially in the "heat of battle"...just when you need it to go fast...it doesn't. This may have to do with the fact that the 002 interface itself and my removable drive (that I schelp back and forth to Connecticut) are both on Firewire....competing for resources. Trying to achieve something as reliable as the AM-III here in Connecticut. It would be nice to upgrade to PT 7 too...I'm still running 6.1.1...the last update avaiable for AM-III.

I was going to post on the DUC..but figured I'd ask here first. Smaller group, similar needs...and quick responds!
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Davis wrote:
I was going to post on the DUC..but figured I'd ask here first. Smaller group, similar needs...and quick responds!

Chuck,
The slowest response I've ever had on the DUC was 20 minutes. Oof-dah! The guys on the DUC have even less lives than some of us who respond here!

I'm using the original Mbox with a Dell Inspiron 6000 (a loptop) and while its probably a little anemic to do a Kelly Clarkson session, it has done 24 tracks without choking. YMMV, of course.
Chuck Davis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CW,

I've had just the opposite on the DUC. Asked about AM-III/SP-2 compatability...it's one of those "digi grey areas"....maybe it's just because there are very few AM-III users out there...but responses were slow and few.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: