VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment advice needed for radio interview show.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Equipment advice needed for radio interview show. Reply with quote

I've been asked to do an interview show to be posted on a Website. I'd be recording the interview on the phone with my ProTools/M-Audio rig and uploading the file. Can anyone suggest an interface that could be used to deliver high quality files for this job? I would sure appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

http://www.kitziestern.com/
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitzie,

see comments below

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."

Last edited by COURVO on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! I wasn't clear on the equipment I'm needing. I want something that will allow me to interview someone in a remote location over the telephone and record both parts of the interview in ProTools. Then I can edit the file and post to the Website. High quality files would be nice.

I hope that's better. Sorry for the confusion.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kit,

If I understand what you're needing, you're going to need either an analog phone patch or ISDN or ip based real time transport protocol... the phone patch is not going to be great quality, but it's used quite commonly for radio interviews etc... ISDN is broadcast quality but very expensive. And an ip program is about the same as ISDN...

Either way, you're looking at a fair chunk of change to make it happen...

Good luck with making it happen, but feel free to pm me if I can be of any more assistance.

Cheers,

Brian
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest we be incorrect, a Phone Patch uses your phone lines and is cost efficeint, but lacks great quality of audio; ISDN is expensive and has great quality, but you need ISDN codecs on each end and ISDN lines from the phone company - and a lot of bucks to pay for the conenction.

An IP interface such as iSpeek may require an iSpeek at both ends - similar to an ISDN Codec - and a small monthly fee - no per minute charges or expensive equipment to buy are the upside. Or, it may be fairly expensive and require a specific DAW to work within such as Source Connect.

Each of the IP codecs mentioned give you very good audio quality, but each has it's own limitations and cannot connect without having one on each end.

There is a fourth possibility for two-way conversations at a fairly decent qualtiy - VOIP. With a good VOIP softphone on your computer and an ISP which may cost $20.00 on up per month for unlimited calling within the US and Canada and in some cases several other countries. The quality of a VOIP telephone call is exceptional, when compared to a standard POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) line. A VOIP-to-VOIP call can be near 'broadcast quality" audio.

As a promotion, SKYPE is offering FREE calls to POTS lines in the USA through the end of the year. So telephone interviews may be done with much better quality than by using a telephone hybrid or Phone Patch.

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on Skype--

It's a real resource hog and makes my Powerbook overheat. The last session I did using Skype to communicate with the producers overseas went very well, but we had to stop down and run a desktop fan now and then to make the computer cool down enough for the CPU fan to click off.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for Mac's Skype tends to be a "non-working class hero".

There are several other possibilities for VOIP. including many Instant Messenger services. The trick is to find the one for you (and your equipment.

On PC's, Skype tends to take over your soundcard and force the use of the 'microphone' input of the on-board card. It's just a matter of brining up the Windowws recording Mixer and clicking on your normal I/O and making sure you click it a few times as you connect with someone.

Of course you could get a USB phone , but then you take away the recording capability. Be VERY careful with your VOIP choice. Some companies are charging extra for the 'softphone' (such as Vonage), others are just down right expensive... and even worse, there are some 'charlatans' out there.

Look for a VOIP service which uses the G.722 codec (an ISDN quality level codec, designed for MONO use) or at the minimum a 'wideband', SPEEX Wideband, or G.711 codec - some do and some do not. Also, although I have suggested Skype, I do not reccommend this protocol. I suggest a SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) based VOIP service, for compatibility.

Good luck on your choices.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: