VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, right now, I'm using the Edirol UA1000 USB 2 audio interface and nothing else. My mic is plugged right into it and the Edirol is plugged into my computer. With the mic sensitivity gain turned about 3/4 of the way up I get a peak voice recording volume of about -6 db....the majority of the voice signal is down around -9db. If I record with an open mic at that setting, I get a noise floor of around -65db. When I normalize my finished voice recording to -3db, there is still virtually no audible noise in the signal.
That is quite the improvement over using my Samson mic running into my system and utilizing my sound card. I had to set the mic gain really high to get decent recording level which also gave me alot of noise to have to get rid of. Sometimes, I couldn't even get rid of it without totally messing up my recorded voice. Using that setup, recording with an open mic at the mic gain that I needed to use for my recording, I ended up with a noise floor of around -38 to -42.....totally unacceptable noise level. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that, incase you wanted to look into an audio interface and bypass your sound card altogether. I've seen the Edirol (made by Roland) UA1000 on some sites for like $979.00....I got mine from zzounds for around 449 or 479.....something like that. LOVE IT!

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at usb interfaces in the last day actually. That UA 1000 looks like way more than I would ever need. The UA 25 looks more like it - but I can't find any information about power output.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't research the UA-25 so I don't know what the specs on it are compared to the UA1000.....I went with the 1000 because it is big enough to expand into stuff if you want at a later time and the specs were incredible.
Also, I could afford it and I figured I'd spend the little extra for it now rather than buy something smaller and want to upgrade later. Plus the critic and user reviews for the 1000 were all phenomenal, I believe the reviews for the 25 weren't as good and that's why I didn't reseach further into it. Anyway. Let me know how the 25 works out for you if that's what you go with. You've really got my curiosity peaked with this problem you're having. And I know how frustrating the noise issue is when you constantly have to deal with it. Thank God that is over for me. You will be so happy when you don't have to deal with all that noise anymore......you will cut loads of time off of your editing sessions. Good luck on that.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: