VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auditioning gear for travel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Auditioning gear for travel Reply with quote

I needed a fairly inexpensive traveling kit in a pinch so I can audition on the road and perhaps even record some occassional gigs as well. I purchased the Yamaha MW10 10-Input USB Mixing Studio http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MW10-10Input-USB-Mixing-Studio?sku=630204 and a Rode NT1 mic.
The example below is raw with eq flat and no tweaks on the software. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the quality. Is there enough quality there for an audition? Thoughts on tweaks?

www.jeffkaylor.com/JeffKaylorTest.mp3

Thanks soooo much for your thoughts!
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

Sounds real good to me. Good tone and no noise that I can hear. I'm listening through low quality headphones on my work laptop (the volume doesn't go very high). But, it sounds rich, and smooth to me. Good sound, man. Don't really think you need any EQ at all, but I'd have to listen from my studio at home to be sure. I would say based on what I'm hearing now.
For sure. Audition away.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall sounds good. It's nice and quiet. Sibiliance is a bit harsh. You might want to play with your mic placement a bit.

Tweeks. Hmm, I think it sounds fine as is. As a radio guy, I'm still struggling to keep my paws off the compressor and plug-ins so I'll let others speak on this one.

Great sounding voice by the way.
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, thanks for your comments and congrats again on your recent successes!

Quote:
Sibilance is a bit harsh

Brian, it may be that damn whiskey and cigarettes! I may need to check the gain as well as playing with the mic placement.
Quote:
Great sounding voice by the way.
Aw shucks...thank you...where do I send the check? Seriously, I appreciate your comments!
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounded fine on my end Jeff....other than what sounded to be a small peak or digital over load/pop on "settlers". Other than that EQ sounded fine to me. Not muddy or too much high end here.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ben!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of thoughts... there was a click or two in the last paragraph... this is due to the 'spike' at the beginning of that same paragraph... I am assuming it was realted to the large modulation jump that the 'click' was encountered. The second to last paragraph also had a spike. This could be a problem realated to the processor on your computer or in just the way audio is handled via your program or by the increased modulation of your voice in those areas.

I really liked the delivery, and the sound. but you 'felt' much better in overall presense with the last two paragraphs - where you had a little "power' in your delivery.

Very smooth, clean sound overall... no need to change anything other than where you mouth is in relation to the mic - when you do the stronger read, that would take care of a lot of the 'spike and click' problems you have encountered.

Frank F
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff - I don't see any problems related to the mic or the mixer. The timbre and resonance of your voice was nice and smooth and clean.

I did notice a little bit of puffing on the mic element - relatively light, but I did notice it. Frank already mentioned a couple of ticks and clicks - and I believe he's right is saying they don't sound like what one would expect to come from the mic or mixer.

I think you have a very nice combination there - and it works well with those pipes!
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and Frank, thanks for your feedback!! I wanted to get the best bang for my buck and needed something that could easily travel. I was a tad nervous as to whether the quality would be there. You are so dead on about mic placement. I was reading from the lap top and wasn't correctly positioned consistently through the read. Looks I need to throw a music stand in the suitcase. After playing around with it and hearing what you fine folks have said, I think I have a "keeper". Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: