VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethical dilemma, any advice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Ethical dilemma, any advice? Reply with quote

Let's say as a VO you did a job for a client and was hired through a studio. The client was happy, and wants to use you again, except this time he contacts you directly and wants to bypass the studio. The studio hasn't gotten you a lot of work yet, but there's potential. What would you do?

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay the studio 10% of your earnings.

Not only will you gain their confidence, but you will have sealed a thorough line of referrals in the future. You do not need to tell the client your intenetions. What you do with your money is your problem, not the clients. The referring studio does not even need to know which client - you just send the check and say call it a "referral fee"... if they press - you just tell them it was from a client which was referred by you (the studio), and I cannot remember which one it was right now...

Forgetfulness is a great thing to use as you get older and wiser... It gets you out of a lot of sticky situations like that one.

I do this with sort of thing with all my referrals, over the long term it pays off. Remember you didn't have the gig - either way - without the studio - so 10% is not that much to pay. If I have several gigs from a studio referral - I still pay them - even after several years.

Although 'business ethics' are limited in scope in today's world - you can begin to set the trend by keeping your ethical standards higher than others.

But this dilema's answer is your choice to make.

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in complete agreement with Frank.

10% to the studio. It shows you have integrity and quite often is a pleasant surprise for the recipient.
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: not sure.... Reply with quote

The question you gotta ask your self is will you get more work out of either party by doing the right thing now! It's your career and YOUR decision.
There's something to be said for being true to yourself and looking out for
#1 !!!! None of them will look out for you! They may not have your interest
at heart! Only their OWN!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Steelman said: There's something to be said for being true to yourself and looking out for
#1 !!!! None of them will look out for you! They may not have your interest
at heart! Only their OWN!

Definitely an interesting point of view. But to be true to yourself, in my humble opinion, means that you do the right thing all the time - no matter the consequences. Being moral and having the virtue of 'right' on your side means you will never be at a loss for 'true' friends...

Frank F
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grandmother once said, "Keep the front door looking nice... that's where the important people come through to visit... and keep the back door unlocked so your friends always feel welcomed."
Wink
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Twain said:

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important bit of information I received from the client today is that they only used the studio once and weren't considering using them again because of service issues, so it wasn't a long-standing relationship. Nonetheless, I think Deidre and Frank have a great way to deal with this dilemma, so I'm going to send 10% to the studio as a referral fee.
Thanks so much for the thoughts and advice. I know I speak for a lot of people who post here, but I feel so fortunate to have this board to come to when I need advice and/or a shoulder to cry on. I know I'll always get on the level information from people whose opinions I respect.
Happy 4th everyone.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: