VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how was your display?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: how was your display? Reply with quote

As for the 4th this year with us at Casa de Wilson we stayed home on the 3rd for what is called Red, White and Boom. We watched it on TV for the first time in many years. Every year we go down there and smash in with the half to three quarter million people downtown and watch the "works" and then after it is over I always say....."remember that we should never come down here ever again" to my wife.

Anyway, she being the smartest of the two of us remembered my yearly rant that I do every year at 10:45pm every July 3rd when fighting the traffic and all the idoits while coming home. So we played it safe and hung out and watched the fireworks on TV, which is not as impressive I must say.

Last night we had people over to the house and watched the local fireworks from right in our back yard. Let me tell you, it's the best way to go. All the comforts of home a few feet away. Anyway, we had a good group out in the yard and I was playing the simulcast music on a boom box on the patio....good times! Getting home took us all of 10 seconds too....whew, I am tired.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya about the traffic!

But---! I was once working in Cambridge, Mass on July 4th several years ago, and my building just happened to have a high view of the Charles River.
All the TVs in traffic Mission Control were tuned to the Pops.

Oh.
My.
Gawd.

There is NOTHING like a grand fireworks display, and I could see making plans to stay the night or something in the next couple of years.

In the meantime, we go out to a field and watch fireworks from a nearby town. Very, very pleasant indeed.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by tackerman on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed at home. Some of the neighbors put on quite a show with some fantastic, albeit illegal, fireworks. It was very nice.

Back when I lived in Mobile, AL we used to take my sailboat out on the bay on the 4th. From there you could see 3 different cities' fireworks shows. Man that was cool.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I hear ya about the traffic!

But---! I was once working in Cambridge, Mass on July 4th several years ago, and my building just happened to have a high view of the Charles River.
All the TVs in traffic Mission Control were tuned to the Pops..

I hate, hate, HATE that A&E dropped the Pops' July 4th concert! We used to watch that, then go out and watch the displays here since the sun doesn't finish setting until well after 9:30pm.

Next year, it's just a 5-hour drive away. Bitchin
VO-BB Member #59
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just back from several places Idaho, including Crouch, a very small town (actually, it's officially a 'city' inc. 1951) with a very large Fourth of July celebration. Most interestingly, 'they' close off Main Street (a barely-paved road) and anyone and everyone lights fireworks. It's loud, noisy, stinky, crazy, frightening, exhilirating, unbelievable, nutty, bright, zingy, rednecky, fun, dangerous, unheralded, supervised by county sheriffs, enhanced by beer drinking, hilariously wild!! Those with personal fireworks suspend their own fun for a display from the town park, and when the finale ends, the fireworks on Main continue. You should see the mess! I've got photos that need review and I'll post if there's anything worthwhile/discernible...
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife handles holiday decorations, and we tend not to go all out for July 4th. Gotta save that energy for the fall festivities.

However, if the US team had made it made to the World Cup Semis or Quarters, I'd have been flying this flag:

Talk about your pipe dreams.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BettieWheelie wrote:
(a barely-paved road) and anyone and everyone lights fireworks. It's loud, noisy, stinky, crazy, frightening, exhilirating, unbelievable, nutty, bright, zingy, rednecky, fun, dangerous, unheralded, supervised by county sheriffs, enhanced by beer drinking, hilariously wild!!

Wow, was Speedy McQueen there too? (reference from "Cars" the new animated movie, which is very good)

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos from Crouch, Idaho, July 4, 2006, whereby all citizens are eligible to engage in pyrotechnics at will...
View the (4 photos) slideshow at Snapfish. Just hit the yellow button: 'View Now"

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=46145522/a=38759791_38759791/t_=38759791
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: