VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe Audition for Mac is here!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Adobe Audition for Mac is here! Reply with quote

i posted this in "gear" but thought i'd throw it up here too - since lots of folks typically avoid the gear section ... this is big for some of us!

public beta released about an hour ago:

CLICKY-LINKY

i've downloaded & installed & it seems to be running fine. i haven't tried to break it yet - but i'm pretty excited.

Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm just when ProTools 9 will start to work with my MOTU gear...

choices choices choices!

www.monksvoice.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monk - when i installed audition on my mac partition it saw my motu & set all the (in/out/etc) prefs - i didn't have to do anything - it was very cool.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was all over this... but so far it's not wowing me. In fact, it refuses to make a clean recording and clicks and bangs all over the place. I left all of my settings the same (48K 16bit) and set the Audio Hardware preferences to match... and while my recordings in Sound Studio 3 are as clean as a whistle, Audition isn't playing nicely at all.

I'm sure it's me, so any pointers would be appreciated.
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... ok, that's cool. I've been toying with Digital Performer 7, (presently I'm on 5)

I've never had a warm fuzzy feeling from DP though. I like editing in ProTools, but I've set up my DP to use the same tools..

I just might have to beta!

www.monksvoice.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bish - make sure your sample rate is the same in your audio interface & audition - tried recording @ 48k in audition with motu set @ 44.1 and it sounded poopy - made the change and all was fixed.

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, oh boy!!

I am looking forward to this, Matey.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncing audio with video in audition ... handy.

Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used Audition since the days when it was Cool Edit Pro, and that was only for a very limited time. I've always used Macs and the station I was doing some freelance work at used it. I "tolerated" it at first, then came to realize that it was pretty darn good. After I stopped working there, I never gave it a second thought, being a Mac guy. My "go-to" program for simple mono/stereo stuff (90% of what I need) is still Sound Studio, and I have Cubase LE for multitrack. But I just downloaded this and gave it a quick test drive, and I must admit there's a lot that's good about it.

While I have no intentions of shelling out the $350 for the final version, I'll play around with this beta release for a while and get re-acquainted with it. Seems like a good deal for those folks who are already used to it and want to have another Mac option.
Darren Altman
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all! I use Adobe Sounbdbooth CS5 and am really happy with it, it's a fantastic multi-track editor which does everything a voiceover could wish for, simply and the detail on the waveform is beautiful! This prog looks very similar to me. Anyone else use SB? Can you tell me the difference between the two?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably still me, but I can't get this to work in any usable way. I took out any possibility that it was my chain (or USB) causing the problems by trying it with both the mic fitted to the iSight camera (firewire) and a direct connection to the Mac's line-in. Each configuration was tested perfectly in Sound Studio 3 and SoundTrack Pro prior to trying Audition.

When it worked, there were still "digital" clicks and bangs everywhere (at a constant rate of about 1 to 3 per second during spoken passages), and when it didn't work , it beach-balled continually making me force quit. After each problem, the chain was re-tested and found to be working fine with the other recording programs. Levels were consistent across the testing, peaking at -6.

I'm running Snow Leopard on a MacPro with plenty of free resources.

I really want this to work, but so far Adobe has managed to meet my low expectations of them. I've gone through various iterations of Photoshop (and other CS programs) and dumped them... I won't allow Acrobat on my machine any more (OK... I use Lightroom 2 and it does what I want) ... but in my experience, there are too many hoops to jump through to get Adobe products functioning properly on a Mac.

I get that this is a beta, but if it won't run it ain't even an alpha! I'm half expecting to hear "Oh, sorry... it doesn't work with Snow Leopard" Smile

I'm still hoping that I'm going to have a "Doh!" moment... 'cos it looks nice and I want to play.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh. i'm running snow leopard on mac pro too - and have had none of those issues - have you thought about just trashing that download and trying again? maybe something got corrupted during the trip???

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I cracked it... I'm also happy to report it wasn't me Smile

I downloaded a new version and installed it... it made no difference whatsoever with the same mess all over the recordings.
On the Audio Hardware preference, I changed the i/o buffer size from 4096 to 16. This was counter-intuitive, but I was trying everything. It fixed the problem!!! I changed the buffer back to 4096, and the problem remained fixed Gasp

Go figure.
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Once you see all the flexibility that AU will give you compared to Sound Booth you will be ruined forever.

SB has several nice presets for voiceover, but when you realize the advanced capabilities of being able to adjust every nuance of the spoken word file in Audition, including more presets for voiceover...you will wonder how you did without it.

So my advice is... if you are happy with SB, DO NOT try AU. It will ruin you (and sound even better).
Darren Altman
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, really?! You know the expression, "if it ain't broke..." I'm really happy with SB and it does everything I need it to. The standard Voiceover compression and Vocal Thickener for jingles and "thunder" work well and the multi-track editor (now they have spilt a clip functionality) is fine.

How is Audition better in your opinion? What are the major differences The other thing is that I paid full price for SB and don't really want to spend more money just for the sake of it... unless I'm wholly convinced!

Cheers x

EDIT: Just found these.

http://www.adobe.com/products/soundbooth/compare/
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/audition/videos.html

Jowillie wrote:
Darren,

Once you see all the flexibility that AU will give you compared to Sound Booth you will be ruined forever.

SB has several nice presets for voiceover, but when you realize the advanced capabilities of being able to adjust every nuance of the spoken word file in Audition, including more presets for voiceover...you will wonder how you did without it.

So my advice is... if you are happy with SB, DO NOT try AU. It will ruin you (and sound even better).

Last edited by Darren Altman on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: