VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rate suggestion for a "Per-Word" project??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

Spoke with the client again; it's their first time doing an audiobook. This explains the rather demanding ad ("You MUST supply references, a resume', and an audio sample") followed by the low rate.

I politely said that I'd like to take the gig, but that the rate they offered is well below "industry standard" for long form narrations, even when going non-union; she sounded surprised. I asked if the budget can be increased, I was told that they'd "get back to me". Hmmm.

Update update:

They called back. The budget is set, but they still want to offer me the gig. Turns out half of it is to be read by a female VO, the other half me. I mulled it for a second and said yes.

I hate working cheap, but work is work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Total Reply with quote

anthonyVO wrote:

if an agent wants to charge more than 10% you should run as fast as you can.

Then you'll miss out on a lot of work. A large number of non-union agents charge and are getting 20%. Mine in Phoenix does. But she pays for everything else including the website which has audio and video demos for the talent, so it's hard to complain.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audiobook saga gets weirder and and weirder.

The contract is a catch-all document covering both me and the other talent, with no specification as to which talent reads which chapters...it's to be worked out between the two of us. Very loose, open-ended language regarding the completion/delivery date. It also stipulates that I'm to provide "design ideas" in the way of audio clips for each chapter. And I'm earning how much, again...?

I called and told the director (also the publisher) that this type of production work is worth more than the offered rate...I also advised (correctly, I hope) that most audiobook rates go by the page or by the word, as opposed to by-the-hour (if I'm off base on that, someone please set me straight); this way, the talent isn't penalized for working quickly and efficiently.

..Or, maybe this isn't all that weird, and these are just the ramblings of an audiobook neophyte.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Payment by the hour is not uncommon (I believe the AFTRA rate is like $142/hour), but as these people seem a little odd, whatever the deal turns out to be, I'd get money up front. They should secure, let's say, your first 4 hours of recording at X per hour, or 50 pages at Y per page, with a prepayment in advance.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:
...I also advised (correctly, I hope) that most audiobook rates go by the page or by the word, as opposed to by-the-hour (if I'm off base on that, someone please set me straight)

According to what we learned at Pat Fraley's Audiobook Masterclass in LA earlier this year, the normal way to quote an audiobook is based on a FINISHED HOUR rate.

The audiobook publisher is mainly concerned not to get burned by someone who takes too long to read. How efficiently you work is to your benefit under that rate because your earnings per hour rise.

Pat suggested reading three typical pages of the script. Figure two times.

1. The time it took you to read the entire 3 pages, unedited, including any mistakes.

2. Then, edit the script to remove all mistakes and note the running time for the 3 pages, edited.

Divide each of the above numbers by 3. Then mulitply those results by the total number of pages in the script. You now know:

1. How long it will take (approximately) to read the entire script raw.

2. What the approximate finished time is.

This should give you all the information you need to bid on the project as a Finished Hour job that will give you the income per hour you need to earn to make it worth your while.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: