VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I never would have thought it to be true

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: I never would have thought it to be true Reply with quote

Just a funny bit of life here. When I decided to jump head first into the VO world after doing the video production thing part time and working fulltime in the mortgage industry for many years, I never would have believed I would be doing as much character (cartoon-like) voices. Right out of the gates, I was blessed with some really cool gigs doing voices for kid shows at theme parks with the characters that dance around in costumes etc. I did the voices, sang in character and did all the production too....I even got a video production gig out of it shooting some of the shows that I voiced for promotional purposes for other parks. It was a hoot....the girls doing the shows with the characters that I voiced had no clue it was me when I was talking to them later in the day I was at the park for the shoot. I finally told them and they still did not believe me even after I did the voices for them....well they believed me but were shocked I guess.

Well, I got another gig today being the voice for an animated character for an interactive CD ROM for a university through my new agent. Good stuff!

Here is the funny part. Someone asked me when leaving the mortgage company to do video and voice fulltime...."hey, you going to be doing cartoon voices?" I was all....no way, that stuff is all done in LA and NY etc....anyway, these gigs are not Pixar sized gigs but funny none the less that I am getting them. I have really enjoyed doing them. Fun stuff! Mr. Fraley...I may need one of your classes sooner than I expected.

Have a great weekend everyone!

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."

Last edited by BenWils on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I never would have thought it to be true Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:
Here is the funny part. Someone asked me when leaving the mortgage company...."hey, you going to be doing cartoon voices?" I was all....no way, that stuff is all done in LA and NY etc....anyway, these gigs are not Pixar sized gigs but funny none the less that I am getting them.

Ben,

This is such a cool story. I'm convinced that even though the number of people trying to do voiceover work is growing, the amount of work available is growing even faster. There's plenty of work for all of us, it's just a matter of finding the opportunities.

Now, I don't mean by the above to contradict Banksey's Law, which states that only 5% of people will ever make any (significant) money doing voiceovers. I just mean there's no reason that everyone on this board can't make a tidy amount of money each year doing voiceover work. Evidence that this is so is posted here every week in stories like this one.

And congratulations on your latest gig. Having grown up farming in Minnesota, I can tell you, voiceover is MUCH better than working for a living!
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. Yes, VO is a fun adventure. And doing video in combination....you never know what you will be doing the following month sometimes and that is how I like it. Interesting and always different.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Ben!

Keep on chuggin!
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,

Hats off to you. I get that quite a bit, too: "So, we'll be hearing you in a Pixar film soon, right?" I always brush it off, but you never know...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David. You never is right.....you could bump into anyone these days and be doing something VO related that you never imagined.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: