VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incidental to Courvo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Deirdre wrote:
I also don't care for "impact" as a verb unless it's about teeth, but I know I'm impossibly outnumbered.

Deirdre,

Count me as another of the small, but determined (and heavily outnumbered) fringe group who know "impact" isn't a verb.

Ditto.

Quote:
DB people is the subject which is plural and is implied as in none of the people.

This is the subject of much grammatical arm wrestling and it appears both sides are right.

Should it be 'both sides IS right'??!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've know the "rule" about the use of impact as a verb and it has grated on my ears quite a bit lately, however, I found this entry at dictionary.com and I believe it comes from the American Heritage Dictionary originally:

"Usage Note: The use of impact as a verb meaning “to have an effect” often has a big impact on readers. Eighty-four percent of the Usage Panel disapproves of the construction to impact on, as in the phrase 'social pathologies, common to the inner city, that impact heavily on such a community'; fully 95 percent disapproves of the use of impact as a transitive verb in the sentence 'Companies have used disposable techniques that have a potential for impacting our health'. ·It is unclear why this usage provokes such a strong response, but it cannot be because of novelty. Impact has been used as a verb since 1601, when it meant “to fix or pack in,” and its modern, figurative use dates from 1935. It may be that its frequent appearance in the jargon-riddled remarks of politicians, military officials, and financial analysts continues to make people suspicious. Nevertheless, the verbal use of impact has become so common in the working language of corporations and institutions that many speakers have begun to regard it as standard. It seems likely, then, that the verb will eventually become as unobjectionable as contact is now, since it will no longer betray any particular pretentiousness on the part of those who use it. "

I guess they're saying, "ready or not, here it comes!"

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it because it makes my teeth hurt.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary." - James Nicoll
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary." - James Nicoll

Deirdre,

That one is going in my quote collection! Thank you.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: