VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airline travel may become a bit more challenging

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Airline travel may become a bit more challenging Reply with quote

An quote from an article in a recent Computer World news email:

Quote:
Laptop computers, iPods and cell phones must be placed in checked baggage on flights out of the U.K.

Here is the full article:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9002322&source=NLT_PM&nlid=8

From one that travels often, I certainly support increased security and I am thankful that the recent arrest may have prevented a tragedy but I can't imagine having to check my laptop and recording gear as baggage versus carry-on not to mentioned not having an ipod on a long flight. Hopefully, there will be a better method to ensure the safety of these valuable tools before this type of restriction makes it way to the US.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline travel may become a bit more challenging Reply with quote

JeffK wrote:
...I can't imagine having to check my laptop and recording gear as baggage versus carry-on...

Jeff,

Like you, I travel some (an average of 2 flights per month, mostly domestic to the USA). For some time now, I've been packing my recording equipment in my checked baggage because it's become such a hassle in some airports to bring mike stands, microphones, etc. through security. (Not all airports, but where it's a pain, it's a major pain.)

I've been working on methods to safe-guard my gear including using custom foam padding inside small cases that I then pack among my clothes in my suitcase. This has served me very well for the last couple of years. However, I do keep my laptop with me and don't look forward to possibly having to check that case, too.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is great timing. I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon with my (new! improved!) mobile studio and am planning on carrying it on with me. It's not toothpaste, liquid gels, or face lotion, nor is it a shoe that I might light with two sticks nor is any of the equipment akin to WMDs (we know where those are...). Flying Salt Lake to Hartford CT, direct, so I anticipate few problems (rather innocuous places) tho my sister flew yesterday from San Fran to Boston (ugh.) and spent two hours in security line. Phun! I'll let you know how it goes. Giving myself 2 hours at the airport prior to my departure time; if I miss the flight, there'll be a "New Topic."
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew...

I'm on the way to Minneapolis Saturday and not really looking forward to the airport hassle...flying out of (IAH) here in Houston where the delay is now four hours for the extra security screening. They're hauling away truckloads of toothpaste, makeup, hand lotion etc...but I suppose better safe than sorry at 30,000 feet.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's glad that he took the Caledonian Sleeper from Inverness to London and back again? Every time I've worked in London so far I've flown!

Nice job too. I worked on a film (voice stuff) with the future Mrs Banks, Penelope Cruz.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The train is quite the civilized way to travel if you have time.

Banksey wrote:
I worked on a film (voice stuff) with the future Mrs Banks, Penelope Cruz.

Does the present Mrs Banks know about this?

Gasp Gasp Gasp

Last edited by Deirdre on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
The train is quite the civilized way to travel if you have time.

Banksey wrote:
I worked on a film (voice stuff) with the future Mrs Banks, Penelope Cruz.

Does the present Mrs Banks know about this?

Gasp Gasp Gasp
I'm still alive and uninjured so I suspect not!
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo knows Bo...(why this is a news story I don't know, courtesy of the AP ):

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Bo Diddley was traveling light, just like other passengers who couldn't bring liquids or gels on flights because of new anti-terrorism rules.

The 77-year-old singer-musician didn't have carryon items when he passed through security Thursday at Gainesville Regional Airport. But Diddley said he'd already left his most important item in a city where he was stopping on his way to a concert in Canada.

"My guitar is in New York," he said.

Diddley popularized rhythm 'n' blues in the 1950s with hits including "Bo Diddley," "You Can't Judge a Book by Its Cover" and "Mona."
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: