VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording IVR prompts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've downloaded VOX Studio, and if I only use it for the trial period at least I'll get this gig done. Maybe I'll use the money from the gig to buy it, although I don't much like doing phone prompts. However, they do pay the bills.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitstern wrote:
Deirdre, I so wish I was using a Mac. The DUC solutions in the link you posted would have solved the problem.

Crikey-- I thought you were.
Sorry for the bum steer.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I mispoke when I said I use Sound Forge 8 all the time. I use Adobe Audition and VoxStudio and had a copy of Sound Forge 8 sitting beside my computer for several months. I USED to use Sound Forge, but didn't like the interface as much as Cool Edit, so I switched a few years ago.

Bottom line - I don't have the software available to actually check this out, but look at the options in the ACM formats. Is there an "options" button when you select ACM in the drop down menu? There is in Audition and (if there wasn't a bug in that codec) you can select a PCM u-law filter.
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked on Sound Forge and there isn't an option for the ACM format at all. I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy Vox Studio, it's a good thing to have in my toolbox anyway.

You've all been great, thanks so much for the help.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same issue is now bugging me.

Using Adobe Audition 1.5; specific instructions from client for 8-bit, 11.025kHz WAV files. Audition allows easy conversion from 44.1 to 11.025 (ACM), but boy oh boy do you lose sound quality. 16-bit 44.1 is clean and crisp, 8-bit 11.025 is hissy and woofy.

Is this par for the course with IVR files at that bitrate, or is there an option to retain some semblance of audio quality?

Client needs 'em tonight. Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is not the best fix, but it does work...

Record at the speicified bit rate and depth... I had to do some testing - but by starting out in AA as 8 bit, 11025 Hz, you will get some semblence of quality...

Remember to save as a .wav, additional compression at that rate (such as .mp3, ,mp4, etc,) makes it really - uhh - interestingly ugly.

You may also use the Convert Sample under Edit to do the conversion with pasasble results - starting with a 44.1 kHz, 16 bit sample.

Frank F
dhouston67

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah. I was making it harder on myself....by forgetting the Convert Sample Type option. Makes things TONS easier and better-sounding.

Folks? Frank wears a cape. Kudos and then some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There IS an option for u/law in Sound Forge 8. When saving, make sure you have .wav as the file type, then go to the CUSTOM button and select the format you want from there. U-law is an option there...but it is listed as "CCITT u-law". Would this be what you're looking for?
dhouston67

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen,

I'm using AA 1.5. Turns out that using the Convert Sample Type option, then saving in ACM WAV format (with the 8-bit, 11.025 settings specified) did the trick. This sounds similar to what you're describing in SF.

The mU-Law functions and other WAV options in AA don't seem to permit the bitrate and frequency settings.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:
Allen,

I'm using AA 1.5. Turns out that using the Convert Sample Type option, then saving in ACM WAV format (with the 8-bit, 11.025 settings specified) did the trick. This sounds similar to what you're describing in SF.

The mU-Law functions and other WAV options in AA don't seem to permit the bitrate and frequency settings.

Good deal! I have never recorded phone prompts and have not had the need for that particular format....at least not yet.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

et al: In AA 1.5 and or 2.0 the mu-law and A-law funtions are set to mimic the current files frequency rate - so it would be 44,100 kHz or whatever frequency rate the original file is/was.

So to convert down to the mu-law or A-law at 11025 kHz the file would need to start as an 11025 file. A-law and mu-law codecs will convert down to 8 bit from 16 bit - but does not convert the frequency rate.

Also, why save as an ACM file when it will convert just as easily from the industry standard PCM?

Frank F
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaaa...!

I have so much to learn....like VO tech-speak for starters.

You had me at IVR.

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
dhouston67

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
Also, why save as an ACM file when it will convert just as easily from the industry standard PCM?

Well, as I've already demonstrated, I may still be missing something in AA's options; but the ACM format appears to be the only way to save the file in 8-bit 11025. In other words, I can record at that bitrate, but saving as a PCM encodes it as a 32-bit file. (I think.)
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., let me clairfy.

AA uses a 32 bit alogrithm in the multitrack area ONLY. When working within the multitrack environment it translates everything to 32 bit floating.

When in the edit area - you are working with what you are working with (16 bit, 24 bit translated to 32 bit, etc.). But when you save that puppy (file) it will be seen by other DAW's and audio programs as 16 bit or 24 bit.

So, saving as ACM is the same as saving as PCM - you need to set your encoding properly on each. When saving 16 bit files in AA as PCM - if you click on the 'options' (in the 'save as' dialogue) you will find that the chance to change the setting is not available to you. Thus you are getting a 16 bit output. Only when saving as 24 bit would you have the option to keep the file as a 32 bit audio file.

Am I clear as mud?

Good luck.

Toodles,

Frank F
mllong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive said this before..I do so admire the technical mind...
I have sooo much to learn SIGHHHH...
My gosh...its like takikng algebra again....my brain shut off at rise and run....and yep I rose and RAN!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: