VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auditioning with the Blue Angels flying overhead...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Auditioning with the Blue Angels flying overhead... Reply with quote

Chicago's air and water show is this weekend. I'm at the office trying to knock out an audition in between the practice fly overs. Makes for an interesting auditon to say the least! Anyone have any tips on this one?!
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a good 10-15 seconds of an F/A-18 Hornet fly-by for your noise-gate...

Speed read...

Seed the clouds with some silver-iodide to enhance precipitation chances and lower ceilings...

Apply now for zoning/construction permits for an underground bunker with 2 ft thick cement walls for next years show...

Give up, crack a cold one and enjoy your weekend. Wink
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll off everything below................ah, forget it. Smile
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try being in the actual session in a studio on the edge of Miramar Marine Corps Air Station...just after the start of the latest action in Iraq. The jets were doing countless training touch and goes - and we'd get through the first part of a take and then have to stop - over and over again.

The funny thing is that the previous studio owned by the same guy (a 30 year friend from our days at Channel 8 - this is Eight - the Emoticon translated it as "cool" apparently) was next to the railroad tracks and every so often we'd have the high speed Amtrak blowing by blowing its horn.

The location before that was pretty quiet and I'm pretty sure his new location is quiet at well.

Last edited by ConnieTerwilliger on Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patricia Shanks
Contributor III

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Noisy World Reply with quote

The home studio (suitable for audition purposes) is right under the airport flight path. I feel your pain. I've become ultra sensitive to the first distant rumbling when a jet is about to take off. At the same time, I've learned to 'not' listen to it actively, if you know what I mean. There's just a certain rhythm I've developed in order to share the air with the offending aircraft.

Travis tells a story about a 3-legged cat that every once-in-a-while would forget the 4th leg wasn't there. I think Travis told me this. Or, was it a nightmare? I don't know. Three nights ago cats were talking to me in my dreams.

The moral of the story... ahem... Sometimes the jet gets into the mix. Oops. Take 2.

Or maybe this has nothing to do with 3-legged cats. No. It does. I forget they're there. The jets. That's right.

Yesterday I had a fever.

(949) 723-4473
patricia@patriciashanks.com
patriciashanks.com
shanksfortalking.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're feeling better!

I believe in three-legged cats now.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only did I have the jets from the show doing their turnarounds over my place all weekend, I also live about 100 feet from a fire station every day of the year.

Someday, after Google has invented a search engine that can find words in audio files, someone will be able to go through all of my Pro Tools files and search for "f***" to find out just how many of my reads were interrupted by the sudden blare of sirens.
CWToo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Try living in Norfolk, Virginia... I live down the street from Naval Air Station Norfolk which is attached to The World's Largest Naval Base. There is Oceana Air Station not too far away in Virginia Beach. And nestled in between is the busy Norfolk International Airport (no international flights, by the way). You can't get away from those big silver birds no matter how you try.

A popular bumper sticker here is "I LOVE JET NOISE". You don't see them on cars belonging to anyone with a home studio.

Studio Center used to be located near a spur of Norfolk and Southern railway. During one session just a few years ago we heard a steam whistle. Steam? We raced outside to see N&S's last steam locomotive being taken out for a spin. Awesome sight but really, really LOUD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: