VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apogee Duet vs New Duet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Apogee Duet vs New Duet Reply with quote

Greetings. I have a second-location studio where I've been relatively happy with an Apogee Duet FW interface into a 2008 era 17" IMac. With the roll-out of the Apogee Duet Two USB version, just curious if anyone's had experience with the latter and what - if any- improvement I might expect over the original Duet...?

I originally thought the Duet had a defect til I learned that this particular IMac sold with what appears to be a known ground-loop issue on the System Audio Outs which'll probably lead to me replacing it with a newer generation desktop - plus it is USB 1.1 but i've always been fine with Firewire. Primarily run Bias Peak 7 as main record/edit ware. Still, I'm open to suggestions for a newer better interface - esp. if I upgrade to a newer Mac with faster connectivity...
M-Audio Fast Track looks like a worthy contender. And...i think the bugs were worked out on the MOTU Ultralite which i always liked but remember some firmware/Firewire issue with the first-generation model a few yrs back which changed my mind about it...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks as always!

Mike

Saying something since 1970-
something
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Apogee Duet2 is great:
http://voiceoveraudio.blogspot.com/2011/07/apogee-duet-2.html

As for getting a new Mac, be prepared to move into the world of Lion, and that some of your software may be obsolete. It may be better to get a used Mac, and hold off for a year or two until all the dust has settles

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently joined, so forgive me if this is coming too late. I bought the Duet 2 and can tell you it is a fine piece of kit.

The pre's on the Duet 2 are really nice. Very quiet. Even more quiet than my Focusrite ISA One which I would have believed was very quiet had I not heard the Apogee. You get plenty of gain as well -- 75dB which was critical for me with some of my gain hungry mics such as the SM7B.

The physical interface is quite an improvement over the original Duet as well. I really dig the meters and the new multi-programmable touch buttons. Give it a whirl if you already haven't. I don't think you'll regret it.

To be honest, I almost went with the RME Babyface simply because it had stellar reviews as well, but could also be used on both Mac and PC and had more inputs. (MIDI was tempting for me as I play musical instruments as well).
But, I find that I don't regret my purchase one bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: