VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio revamp - layout question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Studio revamp - layout question Reply with quote

I have a workroom/studio basement space that's 8x12, and currently configured with a 4x5 booth (in the bottom left corner) made from moving blankets and quilts (with a quilt cloud). It's time to rip it apart and try and put in something a little better.

Here's option 1, where the whole room is treated:

Here's option 2, where an area (8x5) is sectioned off:

In option 1, there would be three 2x4 panels of OC703 suspended as a cloud, and in option 2, two panels in the booth.

All wall panels are 2x4 OC703 mounted in a frame to provide a 2" air gap behind. The right-hand corner is full height "super-chunk", and the ones on the left are ceiling to desktop. All floors will have carpet tiles/rugs. The ceiling is a standard basement drop ceiling with 2x4 fiberboard panels.

I do not need soundproofing. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty silent room during the day. All computer equipment is outside the room, and effectively silent. In option 2, the partial wall would be made from a frame of 2x4s and faced (on the office side) with plywood. I want to avoid using sheet-rock if possible. A remote screen and keyboard will be on the booth desk. I'm also reluctant to close the booth with a door as I've no issues with soundproofing.

If it wasn't for the fact that the office becomes so small, I'd be all over option 2, but I keep thinking that the bigger space would be a better concept. So far, my only expense has been the OC703 and some burlap (which I reckon I'll need anyway, but I'm hitting paralysis by analysis and would love to here some opinions/options.

Cheers
Peter
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

My space if very similar to what you have (8'x10' rather than your 8'x12') and I've never regretted going the Option 1 route. I really like having the additional space around me when I'm working.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option one is the best. Don't set up in the corner though, set yourself in the center of the short wall, with your listing and recording position 38% off that wall.

You'll need the bass traps to go all the way the floor, and one at that rear corner.
The wideband panels will need to be 4" thick and should go floor to ceiling too.

If you're up to it, change the swing of the door [out] so you can place a panel on it too. and one in the corner too (this will help in bass control).

I have a trick for the ceiling. PM me and Iill tell you about it.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
danbrantley
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
My set-up is very similar, slightly bigger, 8 x 14, but not so quiet anymore, (More kids with cars, more construction, more helicopters...) So I would need better sound "proofing/control" Would layout number 2, with a double wall perhaps, and a door added be better in my case? Or would you still advise layout #1? Would this be a question to pose on your site with diagrams etc?
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

How loud is the noise, and where is it coming from (walls, ceiling)?

THe last thing you want to do is to start chopping a small room into smaller room, so #1 would be the ticket.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
danbrantley
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, sorry for the delay,
(and I apologize for hi-jacking this thread from Peter.)

Here is a link to a page with diagrams and a sound sample. Recorded at usual recording levels at about 7:30 PM with an open mic, no voice. I'll post an audio sample with voice later today.

Windows are the issue, that was why I was considering a smaller room-within-the-room. I have found a source of used French doors and have thought about "doubling up" the windows. And just maybe, I am trying to solve a problem I don't really have and should just wait out the cars, kids & copters.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
DB
http://danbrantley.com/studio
The password is: vo-bb
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I hear is a pretty constant whine. I'm not really sure what it is, can you Identify what that noise is?

There is also a great deal of hiss. I don't have time now to dive into it now, but I'll go into it a little deeper tonight. Some pictures of the windows and the room would be good too.

What kind of window do you have in that room?

If the problem is with the windows, you can replace the widows with more efficient sound windows, plug them, or use some other tricks depending on the window type.

I'm wondering what the sound is like outside of the house, can you post a sound sample of that too?

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is with the greatest respect to Mike that I post an update here. When I originally raised my question, Mike (as I was hoping) replied with his words of wisdom... beyond that, he PM'd me, and we started a dialogue about my studio rebuild.

Here's phase 1 completed. So far, I have followed Mike's advice, as I will for subsequent phases, which will include removal of the big corner desk, and additional 703 panels etc. In the picture, the corner units are "super-chunks", and the rest are 4'x2'x2" panels set in frames made of 4"x1" pine covered in 60" burlap. There are a total of 3 panels set in the ceiling as well (replacing some of the 2'x4' drop-ceiling panels).

Unseen (behind me) is the large temporary additional "bass-trap"... basically, two moving blankets and three quilts hung from ceiling to floor, sectioning off a four foot section of the room. Phase 3 will replace this arrangement with panels and super-chunks.

When I'm recording, the stand & mics are pulled a little further into the body of the room, and I throw a load of soft stuff over the big desk (towels, egg-crate foam etc.) It's slowly turning into a comfortable working environment.

ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing those pics. That gives me some ideas on solving a couple of issues in my environment as well.
danbrantley
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking great Bish.

The blankets hung for a temporary bass trap... are they hung across the room in front of where the door swings?

Thanks!
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blankets and quilts are hung completely across the 8' width of the room (clamped to a piece of 4"x2" I fitted between the walls), creating a 4'x8' space at the entranceway. The big bookcase (on the right in the option 1 pic) now resides in this space, as does the smaller cabinet opposite it. The exposed walls in this space are covered with most of the old pyramid foam that was used in the studio's previous incarnation. The only pain is that I have to push past these heavy hangings to get into my space!
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bish, thanks for the update. i've been following your thread. and i think your latest, simply through your posting it, IS a great nod to the one and only mike sommer.

it just occurred to me that there are a LOT of us with studio spaces that are a result of mike's knowledge and advice. that's a testament to him, and what a legacy.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, the studio looks awesome!

Diane...you're absolutely right. As much as Mike didn't like my small Whisperroom his advise and Georges ears have made it sound pretty damned good.

We are so lucky to have such talented, brilliant and generous friends here. It makes it that much sadder to loose one.

Rons quote on the masthead is fantastic!
Jan Anderson
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks really good, Peter!

Please keep us posted....and with pics. Love the pics!! Smile
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always taken Mike's design suggestions and reduced them down to a more palatable investment of space and money, but if perfection is your goal, he would always take you there (we love ya, Mike). As long as you are a few feet from that desk, Bish, you really shouldn't have a problem with it.
Drop us a sample, will ya?

George
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: