VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bus Power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Bus Power Reply with quote

As I've followed the discussions of various mic pre's on the board, I've come to wonder if I'm doing my better mics a disservice by relying at times on a bus powered pre/interface..... I've read some discussions which seem to indicate a bus powered pre might not be able to properly drive a phantom powered condenser.... Comments?
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relying completely on your computers power supply to energize your Interface Preamp and Microphone is certainly not the way to go.

If your all in one interfaces is capable of being powered by a wall wort power supply use it. Doing so will also improve the dynamic range of your recordings.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use the power supply that comes with the Echo AudioFire2, Mike?
Have you A/B tested to see if it really makes a difference?
Those with Mbox Mini's and MicPort Pros obviously have no choice in the matter. Is it the power supply that's the limiting factor at the end of the day? I guess classical circuit design would certainly suggest that the power supply is the MOST important thing. Why else would mic preamps have such massive power supplies, such as the Avalon M5?
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a new all-in-one is in my future for roadwork.... One with a power supply of its own.... Got a favorite? My go-to condenser of choice is a Bluebird. What would you recommend that would slip into the laptop bag? I've got both firewire and USB2 on the laptop, plenty ram and a core I-7 chip, so it should be able to handle either without choking.... Are any of the solid-state/tube variants worth considering?
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
Do you use the power supply that comes with the Echo AudioFire2, Mike?
Yes

Quote:
Have you A/B tested to see if it really makes a difference?

When there has been a problem with the computer's power supply, it has made a difference.

Let's consider that the voltage from USB is 5 volts DC. We are powering an interface a preamp, and in most cases a 48v phantom power supply. To get 48 volts from 5 volts means the power needs to be increased 9.6 times. SO if we are not getting exactly 5 volts form the USB port- let's say we are getting 4 volts: 4 x 9.6= 38.4 volts. With 38.4 volts we are getting to the limit at with most mics can operate properly.

I also don't know many preamps that run on 5 volts either-- I would guess most would be running on 12 or 15 volts DC. (12÷5= 2.4) So if the USB power is 4 volts, and we need 12 volts: 4x2.4= 9.6 volts. With that kind of voltage drop I can guarantee you're going to have some problems.

And we haven't even gotten to the interface yet. So you see you're going to have some performance problems with a weak USB power supply.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to flog a dying thread.... BUT.... I'd rather get good advice than spend days and dollars exploring inadequate gear @ my local GC or SamAsh.....

My present pre/interface is the Edirol UA25ex, which is relatively quiet, but not terribly kind if overdriven. It does NOT, however, run on anything but bus power. With a mic like the Bluebird, I want to give it the best possible path to the software. So....

Focusrite? PreSonus? M-Audio?(don't really care for their sound)....
Somebody's gotta make a decent portable with quiet pre's, acceptable converters, and a wall wart. USB2.0 would be preferrable, but FireWire would be OK, too, though I'd rather not embrace what appears to be a dying standard. Have considered the Grace portable, but that's a little pricey for my wallet.... and no USB. Any suggestions, guys?
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want something portable, but also with a wall wart, but not expensive. The three things are kinda at odds with each other, it seems. The Echo AF2 is the only one I know that small with a power supply, but no preamps.

One of the best out there, the Apogee Duet 2, DOES have external power supply, and it's using the "dying standard" of USB 2.0. I don't think USB 2 is going anywhere anytime soon.

Another favorite of mine if you are Windows only is the SoundDevices USBPre 2. USB and bus powered, only. Totally pro, very well made, excellent sound.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: