VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simpson's VO actors hold the line
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Simpson's VO actors hold the line Reply with quote

Anyone else noticing more financial extremes these days? Netflix hiking rates by as much as 60%. VO actors being asked to take a 45% pay cut. Wonder what it all means.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/-the-simpsons--no-more--voice-actors--studio-have-a-cow-over-salaries.html
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that article. Fox wants them to take a 45% pay cut from 8 million a year on a franchise that earns literally billions.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing as with the Futurama actors a few years back. They're playing financial games. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced another supposed re-casting.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ay carumba, this is déjà vu all over again. Both sides have a cow, and then they make peace and have a barbecue.

D'oh.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then...
Quote:
Up until the production of season ten in 1998, these six main voice actors were paid $30,000 per episode.

In 1998, a salary dispute between them and the Fox Broadcasting Company arose, with the actors threatening to strike. Fox went as far as preparing for casting of new voices, but an agreement was soon made and their salaries were raised to $125,000 per episode.

Groening expressed his sympathy for the actors in an issue of Mother Jones a while after the salary dispute had been settled. He told the magazine: "[The cast members] are incredibly talented, and they deserve a chance to be as rich and miserable as anyone else in Hollywood."

Now...
Quote:
According to the insider, FOX is asking that the staff take a 45 percent cut in salary. Judging from the fact that the main cast makes about $400,000 an episode, this means they'll have to take home a little over $200,000. Still, it's not too shabby considering there's over 20 episodes in a season.

What I know about salaries could be written on the head of a pin. But from the view of someone who does not make 8 million a year as a voiceoverist, when do salaries pass from reason to insane? I'm not saying that the main cast members are not worth the original 8 million. I'm just asking how did that figure evolve in the first place? If I'm clueless as to what this is all about, just tell me to take my chair and go sit in the corner.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think FOX is looking at the decline in viewers and comparing it to the series' top notations. It still is a massive franchise, raking in cash for the company. The voice actors are probably the most notable and prolific VOs in modern history. They are the icons of the show and should be compensated for it, just like stars of other shows make big bucks. Not to mention that they've been there since the start, probably outliving more than one Fox exec.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it boils down to what is the value of the person and what are they contributing to the work that is, in turn, generating revenue for a corporation. If there is a direct link between the work that they put in and the money that is generated, then they deserve their fair share (whether we see it as "insane" or not.)

A series that has become as iconic as the this one and that has such a core of fans, will undoubtedly be negatively affected should the voices be changed.

-Anthony
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:

What I know about salaries could be written on the head of a pin. But from the view of someone who does not make 8 million a year as a voiceoverist, when do salaries pass from reason to insane? I'm not saying that the main cast members are not worth the original 8 million. I'm just asking how did that figure evolve in the first place? If I'm clueless as to what this is all about, just tell me to take my chair and go sit in the corner.

It's about entertainment which, bar none, is the highest paid industry in the world, right or wrong. People who are obese and inert are desperate to sit in a couch with a bag of Pringles, a case of beer and a remote control to watch athletes get paid million$ of dollar$ to throw a ball. Others willingly pay several hundred dollars to sit in seats in an auditorium for 2 hours to hear their favorite singer. Actors get several million to work a few months on a set. It does, of course, boil down to talent. And to some degree, luck of the draw, since there are thousands, probably more, equally talented singers, actors and athletes who will never achieve that level.

But for whatever reason, we so crave having someone entertain us that we are willing to pay insane amounts to those folks while our teachers, policemen , firefighters and armed services personnel make bare minimum wage.

It is, I think, a flawed disconnect of our society. But it is what it is, and will never change.

www.voicebyscott.com
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/05/simpsons-pay-cuts/
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if were an actor on that show and I saw this article in the L.A. Times three weeks ago that says Fox is considering an All-Simpson-All-the-Time Channel so they can bring in even more revenue, would I be entertaining a big pay cut?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/09/could-homer-simpson-get-his-own-channel.html

Not for a second.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here comes my pragmatic, bone-cold reality perspective:
(keep in mind I know very little about the inner workings of network TV/animation)
IMO It will boil down to,....

can they be replaced without the show suffering?

If they could, then FOX IMO would do it in a second.

However, I doubt that they can.
(Darn me for not working harder on my Homer Simpson imitation....d'oh!) Ninja
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, Rob. The Muppets were never the same once Jim Henson died and Frank Oz left....
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what I'm saying is if the network COULD replace the actors
w/out the show suffering, they would---in a heartbeat.

But I DOUBT that they could.

For example the replacement voices for
Bugs Bunny, etc., to my ear still don't match up exactly to Mel Blanc,
though they are very close.

It also could be a question of, do you hire a new cast of voices and hope
that the younger end of your audience grows up with the "replacement"
voices and then as young adults considers the replacement voices as
the legitimate Simpsons characters.....and on and on......
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question about replacement.

Does anyone own the voices of Homer... Bart... and others in the show?
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though the pay seems on the excessive side, I do believe people tend to be paid exactly what they are worth. Now it seems Fox has decided they are not worth the $400,000 per episode that they willingly agreed to in 2008.

From what I'm understanding the cast has agreed to a 30% cut which would put them in the $280,000 range- this wound be about their per episode earnings form 2004 to 2008. Fox want's a 45% cut, which would be about $220,000 per episode - still, not chump change.

From what I can figure out is that in the past 23 years each actor has earned about $42,257,000±: for a grand total of $253,542,000± for all six actors, for the 23 seasons. This salary could have been paid for by little more than half of the box office for The Simpson's Movie ($527,071,022 ($12.50 of which is regretfully mine)).

For a franchies that has earned billions I say, get all that you can guys. And can I get my $12.50 back?

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: