VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing with my monitors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Playing with my monitors Reply with quote

Have you seen those monitor pads Aurlex makes? I've often wondered how well they actually work. Anyway, just for kicks I placed two small pieces of Auralex together (front to front) to make a stable base and placed my monitors on them, in theory decoupling them from the table right? I can definitely hear a difference in the bass. It comes through much more than before and seems to be a bit crisper.

Now the question I have, is it more accurate or not? Hard to tell with all the other acoustic jumble going on in my room but it's an interesting experiment. It's also moved my monitors closer to ear level which may explain the difference as well.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Mo-Pads by Auralex and they work well. They are to be used if your monitors sit on anything that resonates and makes your bass frequencies unrealistic compared to what is actually being monitored. I bought them because I have a 10" sub that came with my monitor system. Since it supplies way more than enough low end response I wanted to make sure the desk monitors were isolated from the desk so as not to give me a false bass response and to clean up their sound somewhat. I like them....they have two triangle wedges for each speaker pad unit....so you can tilt you monitors up or down in many different angles according to what you need in your studio.

Anyway, I also need to eventually get the "subdude" pad for my sub since it resonates off the floor. Tricky stuff I tell you. But I would recomend the pads if your speakers sit on a desk and resonate false low end frequencies. You may have known a lot of that stuff...but hope that helps Brian.

*Plus they are a lot more firm of a foam for active monitors, which tend to be heavy etc.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."

Last edited by BenWils on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
CWToo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accuracy of your monitors depends on the accuracy of your monitors, right? It also depends on where in relation to your ears they are placed, how close (or far) they are, what amp you are using to drive them, etc.

My Tannoy's came with a diagram and explicit instructions as to where they should be placed. I ignored that and put them where they are convenient. They sound fine but I wouldn't use them to master a Kanye West album.

What kind of monitors are you using?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I've got some small Rolands, don't recall the designation since I'm at the radio stations right now. DM something or other. I've been very happy with them for the price, but I do want to upgrade at some point.

I've just been playing around for fun this morning. I'm not worried about the monitors just yet. I'm still working on the room.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:
I have the Mo-Pads by Auralex and they work well.

What kind of price is on the Mo-Pads Ben? I could sure use some for my monitors. I have the Behringer Truth B2031A active monitors. They are currently on a wooden stand I built a few years ago for a Roland plotter and they resonate through the stand into the floor (hardwood).

Thanks!
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer. They run around $40.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MoPAD/

But it seems like I've seen them as low as $30 or $35 before, I just don't recall where. Might have been a sale price at Sam Ash or something.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by tackerman on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
~Can I get those in Furalex?

HAR! Man that just isn't getting old.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allensco wrote:
What kind of price is on the Mo-Pads Ben?

Brian is right....about $40. I have a buddy that sells for Instrument Pro and he can always get stuff 5% to 10% cheaper with no shipping. So, if I do not use him, I just tell the people at the store I have a buddy etc.....and they, without hesitation, give me at least 5% off anything I buy. Pretty nifty! Try it out sometime.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: www.SoundAnchors.com Reply with quote

Sound Anchors make a huge difference. Each weighs about 75-85lbs, is filled with a sand/expoxy mix in pvc tubes and the contact points with the ground are about 2mm (end of scerws).

Now for the Poor Man's Sound Anchor. You can make something similar by taking a metal plate some epoxy and four tacks. Stick the tacks to the bottom of the metal plate with the epoxy, let it dry over night, put your monitor on it. If you're afraid of scaring up your desk or stand surface, put a penny under each contact point. Your sound is now be isolated. Actually, for $10 ea, you can go to your local Home Depot and buy a smoker box, fill that with a sand/epoyx mix instead of the metal plate.

I will not tell you which I'm using.

-g
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some little shelves for my Mirage™ speakers.

Now, I do all my editing through my headphones anyway.

Those Mirages are nifty, though-- Stereo effect anywhere in the room.
I use 'em for movie edits and stuff on the video side.

Quote:
I will not tell you which I'm using.

Kevin Genus is one of the best things to ever happen to this board.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: www.SoundAnchors.com Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
Actually, for $10 ea, you can go to your local Home Depot and buy a smoker box, fill that with a sand/epoyx mix instead of the metal plate.

You mean like the one I use in my grill? Wow. I never would have thought of that. You get my gold star for the day and I'm jotting down something I'm going to have to try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: