VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I confess- I'm clueless

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: I confess- I'm clueless Reply with quote

I have a Samson C01U USB mic. It's really done very nicely in my home studio. I'm finding that I'm getting a slight bit of hum when recording. I can overcome it with the noisegate feature in Sonic Foundry, but would really prefer to find out the cause.

Could it be the mic, even though it's a USB mic and doesn't plug directly into my Turtle Beach/Santa Cruz sound card, or is this a cruddy sound card? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

I'll likely be getting a new computer soon that will come with a Sound Blaster Audigy X-Fi, 24-bit Xtreme Fidelity card. Is that any good?

Thanks for sharing!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I confess- I'm clueless Reply with quote

Joniv wrote:
I have a Samson C01U USB mic. It's really done very nicely in my home studio. I'm finding that I'm getting a slight bit of hum when recording. I can overcome it with the noisegate feature in Sonic Foundry, but would really prefer to find out the cause.

Joni,

The first thing I would check is to make sure your USB cable running from the mike into your computer isn't running across the power cord for your computer, or any other cords or cables. In other words, try moving the cable to a differnt place and see if that makes a difference.

Joniv wrote:
Could it be the mic, even though it's a USB mic and doesn't plug directly into my Turtle Beach/Santa Cruz sound card, or is this a cruddy sound card? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

A USB mic looks to your computer as if it's essentially an external sound card. Your computer's internal sound card doesn't make any difference.

Joniv wrote:
I'll likely be getting a new computer soon that will come with a Sound Blaster Audigy X-Fi, 24-bit Xtreme Fidelity card. Is that any good?

Maybe this is just me, but Sound Blaster does not equal professional quality. Yes, they have some pretty good "pro-sumer" units these days, but for the money you can get much better audio interfaces from Edirol, M-Audio, Echo and so forth and so on. Search the archives here for some recommendations on audio devices and interfaces.

I wish you well. Oh, and please do post a note if moving your USB cable makes any difference (more OR less) to the hum problem.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you always had the problem or has it been coming on? Has anything changed in the studio?

Also, alomg with what Bob suggested, try turning off just the video monitor and see if the hum goes away.
CWToo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you unplug the mic is there still hum? And is the hum around 60 cycles?

The USB cable from the Mbox in my office runs through what might be charitably called a "tangle" of AC cords without any hums.
Travis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the BLU Snowball USB Mic without hum problems. - There are problems, but not hum. The mic works beautifully out of a Mac, but has limited output going into a PC. I 'figgure the most likely cause is the power supply from the PC, since the mic's condensor, preamp, and logic are all powered through the USB line which comes from the computer. I've been very surprised, however that the sound from the mic is as clean as it is, when you consider that the power provided by the USB connectors aren't intended to prower audio equipment.

And that's your most likely source of the hum. Your computer is providing the power to a microphone mic-something the computer's designers never intended. I would suggest trying the mic on another computer, and see if the hum changes.

It might be necessary to try another power supply in your computer - or you might try one of those usb "hubs" with an external power supply. If you're using one of those hubs, you might try removing it, just to see of there's any change.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same exact problem with that mic and that sound card. As a reault, I got a new mic, a Presonus Inspire 1394, and an insulated firwire cable and the hum decreased dramatically. I learned the hard way that you gotta spend a few bucks to get decent sound quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a Samson CO1U when travelling, and there's no hum.
Could it be possible your settings in Windows are putting the sound through the sound card as well, which you don't need to do with the Samson?
Go into Control Panel, Sounds and Audio devices, and check that Samson is the audio input. You'll need to set your sound card as the output.
Also, if you have Windows XP Service Pack 2, you can download more features for your Samson mic from the Samson site which might enable you to tweak out any hum.
That and all the other things everyone else mentions above, of course!
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've found a way around it.

First, take a hammer.....ok, not really.

I did buy a new PC and it's much better. I also went to Samson's web site and found some software to download and that gives me more control, so I'm now so happy I'll do the dance of joy!

Thanks!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joni,

I'm delighted to see your good news. Much success to you.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: