VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audition vs. Pro Tools
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which DAW would you prefer to use?
Adobe audition
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
Pro Tools
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 27

melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For VO work? On a PC? Sound Forge. Sound forge. Sound Forge.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISDN - then someone else can decide which DAW they want to use... Inoccent

Started with Sound Forge and Cool Edit Pro. I use AA now for most things. But I am still editing in AA 1 - because I have found that some of the presets on AA 3 do not make a clean a sound for certain conversions. And the interface is so different between 1 and 3, I can't seem to figure out what is different between the two.

I should talk to someone about that...
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa eX wrote:
For VO work? Sound Forge.

You simply cannot beat SoundForge for quick-up-and-running-no-fuss recording... Open SF, Cntrl +R, spacebar... I could be missing something but I can't get up and running this quickly in the others... and I like not seeing the waveforms until the take is recorded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. What Melissa said.
Been using SF for over 15 years (Since version 4.5!)
Does what I need it to do without any issues.
Tracy Kinkead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
Pro Tools

1. You'll never have to say, 'I can't do that'.

Just curious, what exactly short of producing a band, would a voice talent not be able to do with AA?

I've produced and mixed thousands of audio presentations (commercials, promos, radio imaging, etc.) with multi tracks, pieces, segments...and never had to say "I can't do that".

I've never used Pro Tools, so maybe its a case of "not knowing what I'm missing"?
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right there with you...about not knowing what I'm missing. I used PT LE for music production 8 years ago...V.3? It was great, but I didn't want an mbox, so I went another direction. I guess the cost has kept me at a distance.

Question for PT users. If you are punch and roll recording, and you hit undo while recording, what happens? Does it undo the recorded audio and then put the playhead back where you started the recording?

(Edit: what the heck is protolanguage?? Stupid autocorrect)

Last edited by Jason Huggins on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy Kinkead wrote:

I've produced and mixed thousands of audio presentations (commercials, promos, radio imaging, etc.) with multi tracks, pieces, segments...and never had to say "I can't do that".

Not too long ago I was doing a session in a studio that had a few Grammy and Platinum records on the wall, recorded there. They also do a lot of VO work there.

Let's just say I didn't see any Adobe Audition setups there, but I did see quite a few ProTools setups
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has all the makings of a good old-fashioned religious war. Mac vs PC or whatever. The board has rules regarding that, and there should probably be one that names any ProTools discussion as verboten.

ProTools is a great DAW that will do anything you ask of it (even make the tea). It has a few idiosyncrasies and some rather petulant hardware dependencies. However, it is, to many, the de facto industry standard for an enormous amount of studios and production houses. A lot of people carry ProTools expertise into the VO business and find it to be the perfect tool for the job.

Did that cover it?

However, it's not the only show in town, and there are some great tools out there that are far more intuitive, cheaper, and probably better suited to someone who is just producing voice tracks. Someone who hasn't got the time, energy or inclination to learn a full-production DAW and doesn't have any previous experience with one. Even at the high-end studio DAW level, there are ProTools/Logic battles raging elsewhere.

There is a very strong correlation to the video production scene, where the professional packages that ruled some years ago have seen their user-base decline as people find cheaper and (arguably) better tools. In some cases, the big production software suites have slashed their prices by 80% or more as they have to compete with Premier, Final Cut etc.

My own (totally unfair and biased) opinion is based on my own limited use of PT and lots of research some time back. I usually summarize it thus. ProTools is a powerful, yet extremely petulant and idiosyncratic DAW. It's users sing its praises and promulgate it's use because misery loves company.

See... I told you it was unfair and biased Smile
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At their worst, these types of discussions eventually turn into a "mine is better than yours" type of thing

At their best, these discussions may help to expand one's horizons and open up new possibilities and ways of working

One final thought and then I'm out. I'll never quite understand the "why drive a 747 to the grocery store" analogy and knock on PTools. It's a program designed to do very simple tasks, as well as very complex ones. Just because your car's speedometer has a reading for 120 mph, doesn't mean you have to bury the needle every time you work the gas pedal
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to wrap this up, kids.
Tracy Kinkead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry...just one last thing from me. I didn't intend to "knock" what anybody elsed used or to imply "mine is better than yours". The quote I responded to was using PT meant never saying "I can't do that". And I was simply and genuinely curious what it was PT could offer a VO that AA couldn't. I've never used PT, so I don't know.

I have no doubts the best studios in the world have PT and not AA, but that doesn't really address the question. And oh by the way, I don't begrudge anyone because of the software they use...to each his own, live long and prosper, and all that...
Jacob Ekstroem
Club 300

Location: A padded room with no windows somewhere in Scandinavia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:
Time to wrap this up, kids.

Yes, and maybe get back on the right track, too?
Neil, I assume you ask because you are considering whether you should have Pro Tools or Audition to succeed in voice-over recording...? If I recall correctly we already addressed this issue thouroughly in a previous topic, but I will risk redundance - you don't. The only thing you need right now is something to practice with. ANY recording software will do, even Audacity (which I understand you already use - good).
In fact, most of us could do with Audacity, but most of us likes to play with stuff you don't need at this stage. An advanced DAW like PT or AA would only remove your focus away from what you should be focusing on.

FWIW, I've been doing VO for over a decade and I produce imaging for a national radio network. I don't use neither PT or AA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: