VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on this "noiseless" computer company

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Thoughts on this "noiseless" computer company Reply with quote

In my continuing research to finish my studio I stumbled across this company.

EndPCNoise.com

I'm REALLY trying to minimize noise since I can't isolate the equipment in my current home studio location. It's down to the macbook or a tricked out PC.
It appears this company makes very quiet PCs, some tailored specifically for audio recording. I priced one out and aside from not including a monitor, they seem competitive with what you'd get from a regular PC manufacturer (minus the unnecessary bells & whistles). I was checking out the third system down the list... the Intel P180 Digital Home Recording System.

Check out the Totally Noiseless Intel DAW PC if you really want to get crazy. Wink

Any opinions from the resident tech-heads?
Anyone heard of them or better yet own one?

Thanks!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye Matey - yer suggested site thar has some nice treasures... and in my personal although not-so-humble, opinion - they are a bit pricy.

Something else you might research is a few of the several sites which offer advice on cleaning up sound emitted from the noisy PC, such as:

How to Quiet PC Noise

Building a PC from scratch takes a little bit of knowledge, but nearly anyone can do it. I did, so I know it is not that hard - and it is a lot less expensive.

Consider your choice of 'sound cards' prior to making your Quiet Audio PC selection. This issue alone can save you money. An external (USB or Firewire) sound card will also help decrease several audio noise issues.

Finally, some of the new Mac's offer substantially reduced noise when compared to most PC's - IF you like Mac's. I recently was in a studio where they had changed from PC to a Dual Core Mac with Intel chips and which was able to use Windows programs... the silence of the new Mac was so unique, it literally changed the 'timber' of the enviornment. I was pleasantly surprised.

Good luck on your choices and let us know how you fare.

Toodles

Pirate Mascot Frank F
Gp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARRRRRGGHH! Thomas me laddy.
take the old noise box and replace the anchor!
Ye might want to be doin what I did *spit*
I was lookin on this site endpcnoise.com and purchased meself one of them nexus CPU fans. It's really quiet (OK I don't have time to type this all out in pirate speak)
I bought a sonata II from Page Computer for about 100.00 it's a quiet machine for sure. You can also add the accoustic panels to fit this machine from endpcnoise.com
However, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably buy the nexus breeze 500. I'm really impressed with how quiet thier cpu fan is.
I'm also putting mine in an accoustic box I built. It's already 200% quieter than it was.
There are also some you can spend lots on if you really want to. I built a box, that I put some accoustic material in, to put mine in for under 50.00. I still am in the process of covering it and I'll post pics when I'm done..I currently have mine in a box I converted from an old computer desk. Once I put everything together I turned it on and couldn't believe I still had a pretty good noise in my studio.....then I turned off the ceiling fan....( I hadn't heard it running before over the computer noise from my last case)So all in all I really cut the noise back.
Then again on the other hand.....I could be lying to you.....ARRRRRGGGGHHH!!
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys!

I went a head and picked one up. Once I get set up I'll try to post some pics and my thoughts.

I'm still very interested in the Macs but I think I'll wait a little longer.
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a session on a cohort's dual-boot, dual core Mac last night. It was so clean, so simple, so fast, So Quiet, I came home totally frustrated with my old gear.
Gp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Which one did you go with?
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More DIY "stuff:"

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-5670307-2.html?tag=bnav
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp wrote:
Tom,
Which one did you go with?

The Intel P180.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: