VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Web Accelerator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Google Web Accelerator Reply with quote

Saw a link for the Google Web Accelerator at the bottom of google.com tonight and read a lot of their stuff.

Anybody know anything about it? Is it worth installing... what about privacy issues, etc etc. Once upon a time I would have just downloaded anything from Google, but something in my head told me to be cautious with this one.

From the other side: for those of us that run our own websites, it may be worthwhile reading up on this if it catches on. I can see potential nightmares dealing with "prefetching" and demo pages.

B
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for WinDoze only anyway.
What a snore.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its anything like the web accelerator for dial up, its a compression scheme and doesn't do anything for audio and video files...
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not the same thing at all. If you read up on what they've posted it's using prefetch. I'm still reading on this. Lots of info at www.mozilla.org. And it doesn't work with dial up.

As an example, when you search on google, it anticipates what you are going to click on and begins downloading the best matches before you make your choice. Apparently it also analyzes your mouse movements to help determine this as well. And it's not just a google.com thing. It's supposed to work with most websites. Privacy issues aside, ok it speeds up your viewing experience. Wonderful.

As a webmaster, it has the potential to skew your tracking data. As data is prefetched it is possible that will get "counted" on your site as a pageview. The google info talks about how to protect against this so that helps.

What about this scenario? Let's say I use my adwords account and spend... whatever. 50 cents per click for "radio imaging." That should get my ad seen quite a bit. Everytime that ad pops up it's possible, or even likely if this gets really popular, that my page will be prefetched and that potentially could drive your bandwidth through the roof without people actually visiting your site.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
It's for WinDoze only anyway.
What a snore.

Yes, about that. Ahem Lips Are Sealed

Just kiddin.

B
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad, I didn't read it.(busy working will read in the future)..

interesting thoughts on the page hits, but I wonder if they will change the way they rate sites based on tht info, given the potential "non-real" page views.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: