VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What DAW do you use for audiobook editing/mastering?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done punch and roll in Reaper too. I had a guy in the UK contact me about issues with Studio One (same issue George was having) and I set him up with Reaper.

I changed my record button to R instead of the default (I forget what it was), then go Options -> New recording that overlaps existing -> Tape Mode.

Then go to Options -> Metronome/Preroll -> Metronome/Preroll Settings, and check pre-roll before recording and set it to 1 or 2 measures.

Then just make sure "Record Monitoring" is set to OFF if you want to use speakers or ON if you want to use headphones. In REAPER, record monitoring is the little triangle button next to the in/out mode (not the downward triangle that lets you select your input, but the play button under FX) on the track you are recording on. If it is grey - it is off, green - it is on, yellow - it is "auto."

Then you just have to hit 'R' to start recording, space to stop, stick the playhead wherever you want to punch in, and hit 'R' again to record with a preroll of the audio either 1 or 2 bars before it (whatever you set).

If you make a mistake more than once and need to start over where you previously had to start over, just hit stop (space) and then undo (CMD+Z or CTRL+Z) and the playhead will still be in the same place you started, and you don't have to move anything. Just hit record again and you can try again. You can get really fast at this if you have a controller that has these set up for single button presses. I recommend the Razer Nostromo Smile

Any questions on setup?
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jason! I think the setup I tried (and quickly abandoned) was a little over-complicated. I had the preroll options set as you mentioned, but made a custom hotkey (Shift-Return) that performed the following actions:
  • Transport: Stop (save all recorded media)
  • Transport: Go to end of project
  • Transport: Rewind a little bit
  • Transport: Rewind a little bit
  • Transport: Record
With my mic sitting right next to my laptop, I kept my left hand on the Shift and Return keys, and hit that combo whenever I flubbed.

My goal in doing it this way was to keep my eyes on the copy, my mouth at the same place in front of the mic, and my head in "the zone" of the material. The downside, of course, is that I had no idea exactly where it would start the preroll playback, which is why I used the rewind action twice, to give me time to find where I was going to pick up. Because it might punch in halfway through a word, I used the "New Takes" option for recording over existing material, so that I could trim the takes and make a clean edit later on.

In the few tests that I did before dropping this method, it did seem to save some time, though the need to tweak takes to fix bad punch-in points probably negated any benefit it had. I'll probably try again with the process you recommended, though I still need to figure out how to get this to work without headphones. I don't have studio monitors, and do all editing using headphones plugged into my audio interface. I suppose I could just set the cans close to me so that I can hear the preroll. Hmmm...must experiment...
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your laptop is right there, you could just use the laptop speaker instead of the cans.

What you mentioned is the huge downside to punch and roll. You have to either have the muscle memory engrained in the brain or it pulls you out of the work. I use a second screen. One with the DAW and one with the script. That way I can quickly look over and move the playhead with the mouse and then look back to the script. I scroll the script while I'm reading so that the line I'm on is always on the top 1/4 of the window. Makes it easy to find my place when I look back and forth.

I couldn't make the workflow fast when I tried with one screen. I need to have the script on it's own thing so that I can take a mental note of where I am on the page and then look back at the exact same picture.

The controller also really helped. I have a specific motion that is always the same. I hit a couple keys really quick and don't have to look away from either the DAW or the copy. As with anything...you just have to do the reps to get the muscle memory so that it is actually faster. At first, it is always slow and annoying...but it gets better.

One thing that helped me was a longer pre-roll when I started. This gave me time to make the transition back into the book and find my place. I got faster with practice and was able to drop it down.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jason said! (wanna job, Jason?)
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
What Jason said! (wanna job, Jason?)

Cha! LOL

I'm gonna put that on my resume! THE George Whittam offered me a job. cool
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
If your laptop is right there, you could just use the laptop speaker instead of the cans.

Yeah...I had a ker-DUH moment after posting that. Forgot that I'd already made an aggregate device to use in Reaper, so I could record via the interface and play back via my earbuds plugged into the laptop. Just gotta unplug said earbuds. Embarrassed

Eventually I'd like to get a second screen, or perhaps spring for Splashtop so I could control the laptop from my iPad, which I'm already using to read copy. Baby steps...
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VO Steven Jay Cohen recently created a punch-and-roll script for Twisted Wave and posted the links on the EWABS fb page.

http://www.stevenjaycohen.com/2014/03/20/punch-and-roll-for-twistedwave/

as well as how to make a shortcut for the script

http://www.stevenjaycohen.com/2014/03/25/add-a-keyboard-shortcut-to-punch-and-roll-for-twisted-wave/

Hope interested parties find it useful!
Steven Jay Cohen

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the shout out sdaeley17!

Hope someone else finds it useful.

sdaeley17 wrote:
VO Steven Jay Cohen recently created a punch-and-roll script for Twisted Wave and posted the links on the EWABS fb page.

http://www.stevenjaycohen.com/2014/03/20/punch-and-roll-for-twistedwave/

as well as how to make a shortcut for the script

http://www.stevenjaycohen.com/2014/03/25/add-a-keyboard-shortcut-to-punch-and-roll-for-twisted-wave/

Hope interested parties find it useful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: