VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ear Trumpet Labs custom mics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Ear Trumpet Labs custom mics Reply with quote

These mics look gorgeous!

How they sound, however I have no clue:

http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/products/microphones/
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the looks too! As for sound; these microphones are not and I repeat NOT for VO's. Designed as more of a stage microphone they are very thin and for what they ARE designed for, they work nicely.

I did a review of "Edwina" and enjoyed the color and cut for specific types of audio work, but could not see where this mic wold ever be in my VO toolbox.

Frank F
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why am I not surprised that Frank already had the skinny on these things......
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
these microphones are not and I repeat NOT for VO's.

Now, if they were to come out with one called the "Harlan" ... Rolls Eyes
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, they're here in Portland. Old fashioned and Steam Punk all in one. Sadly, I don't have that kind of money in my toy budget.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO love my toys... thank you Rob.

I enjoyed the look and have en Edwina in my collection because I like to show it off (I do not do any stage stuff anymore - people just run when they see me...). And I will probably buy a couple of others as I really do like the looks - these mics are fun!!!!

If you are into "looks" and have the bucks and a donor mic... here is another one to view: http://www.myrinx.ch/

Frank F
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff.

Im a fan of classic microphones. The Ear Trumpet stuff gives me some ideas. I'd love to try to make something like this. Find a decent large diaphragm cartridge and figure out a way to mount it in a frame with springs like an old carbon mic from the 30's.

I cant believe someone hasnt tried to do this before.

Any suggestions for cartridges that might work for something like this?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending upon how creative you are... see: http://microphone-parts.com

This would be a good start, the next step is to look into the DIY kits and then redesigning the PC boards. Capsules are only one part of a bigger problem for this type of mic build. What kind of head, how much "air" do you really need, etc. all are questions which need answers.

Oh, and you had better be good with a soldering iron as well. If not start practicing now. Doing a build for this style of mic can be tedious and requires a sensitive touch with certain components.

Frank F
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in love with myrtle --- i've always wanted a ring & spring mic.

DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:

This would be a good start, the next step is to look into the DIY kits and then redesigning the PC boards. Capsules are only one part of a bigger problem for this type of mic build. What kind of head, how much "air" do you really need, etc. all are questions which need answers.
Frank F

In other words, its more difficult that I could possibly imagine. Wink

Still, it would be a fun project to work on.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DeadDillo writes: "... its more difficult that I could possibly imagine"

Yes and no. It would not be easy, and you should know quite a bit about how microphones work. This idea/concept would not be a job you can finish in one afternoon or even a week of afternoons.

Ear Trumpet took time to come up with their variety of microphones. They settled on an the capsule they did for specific reasons. The headbasket (so to speak) was good, or at lest usable for this style of capsule. The circuit is of a simple variety and capable of use with the type of capsule being used.

Note: The close proximity of the headbasket to an LDC (Large Diameter Condenser capsule) will cause air circulation problems and interference.

Then there is the circuit itself, for the type of capsule used; ET's choices were ideal. To do this with a large diaphragm capsule a different type of circuit would be required. Then there is amplification and EQ situations which you would need to deal with inside the circuit. Redesigning the circuit board (PC board) to fit the "body" would be a challenge, if one does not know how to design a circuit board and the use of the parts needed.

Then, because of the LDC and phantom power requirements, there is shielding and grounding requirements which could get messy.

It can be done, do not get me wrong. It is not however, an easy project or one which someone who does not know the ramifications would want to undertake.

Frank F
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I was thinking of a simpler route and just stripping an existing mic and trying to rebuild the case for it so that it works the same, but has the look of the carbon mics of yore.

I know electronics, and am very familiar with mic guts, but yeah, it still sounds a little out of my level of expertise.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"...stripping an existing mic and trying to rebuild the case..."

Ha! That is how I started. Then I found the shape of the case and headbasket have a LOT to do with the psycho-acoustics of a microphone. After becoming addicted to modifying microphones, I started building my own styles to fit a predictable sound quality I desired. I think I was 14 or 15 at the time.

Now I like to build clone-U87's (purple badge) and some custom mics when I have a bit of spare time.

Custom building microphones is an addiction and a great pleasure. Getting the "right" sound is a chore, but a lot of fun and satisfies the urge to be creative.

Have some fun and give it a try. You will be surprised at what you may accomplish.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: