VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you're thinking of buying a used Zephyr Classic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: If you're thinking of buying a used Zephyr Classic Reply with quote

So maybe everyone knows this but I certainly didn't.

I was in the market for another Zephyr (for Studio Manhattan South) and I saw a Classic on eBay for a very good price - so I called Telos and spoke to Ted (I love Ted, I've spoken to him a few times over the years and he's one of the most helpful and best informed people I've ever known) and I asked him if there was anything I needed to watch out for or to ask.

He said some of the older Classics can't do L2 mono 128k. Only 64k. He told me to make sure that the seller tests it - not just by going through the utility menu and SEEING it in the list but by actually selecting it. If it can't do 128k it will say 'no hardware support'.

I asked the seller to do so. Took a couple of messages because the first one he responded to by saying oh, yeah I see it there. I actually had to tell him to hit YES and see what happens. Which he did - and it does - and now I've got a working Classic.

But I just wanted to post this for those who - like myself - had no idea and who may be in the market for a Classic.
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa, is the Telos classic the one with a black face?
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what is considered a good price range for the classic?
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Bobbin it's the black one.

These days I don't know what a good price is. I got this one for $500. Well $501.01 to be exact. I was bidding against someone. But I wasn't going to pay more than that.

On eBay the prices are all over the place. An Xstream for $900 - another for $2100. Another Classic started at $600.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, needs to be a 9202 model to do L2 Mono 128
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older models seem to be settling into the $500+ (ish) range. As VOs our needs are simple so we don't really need all the extras that come with the later releases... although ease of use and the fact that is a newer model (probably with a longer sunset date for support) can be very attractive.

What I think is happening in some cases, is that people who have these sitting unused in a rack have heard that ISDN is under threat, and want to recoup some money before they are looking at a doorstop with no resale value at all. There are plenty of discussions elsewhere that support/dispute this position... but until they start ripping the copper out of existing production houses, ISDN will be with us and a viable tool.

If I was looking for a bog-standard box with no frills... especially as a back-up... that's the range I would be (and was) looking at. My workhorse at the moment is a basic Prima 110 which also cost me $500... and now I have a backup Zephyr unit as well. It's a $500 insurance policy.... and I get a box that goes "chirp" Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: