VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting Over

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ram29642

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Starting Over Reply with quote

Hi,

I was in broadcasting back in a different lifetime before I started programming computers instead of radio stations... This is my first stab at a commercial demo to get back into voice over work. I really would rather do narrations or e-learning, but I was persuaded that a commercial demo is the best way to start - that any producer can tell if I fill the need.

I would also appreciate some help determining what my "style" is...

(Website still being built)

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Robert Martin

https://soundcloud.com/robertmartinvoiceover/robert-martin-comm-demo/s-S5cD5
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this. I like your voice and that you don't back down from your accent, and it's there naturally, not pushed. Your voice has character beyond that too. I'd think about bringing the music down a bit - or, definitely scoop out EQ around 200-400Hz to take the a touch of muddiness out - that's not a problem with your voice, but just the way it's recorded/mixed.

So, let's get that demo down to 1:00 and put into a better order -

1.) Cut the Carhartt piece. It's good, but the Dickies clip is better and in the same vibe.

2.) Loose the Wendy's piece. Again, it's good, but I don't think anybody under 35 is ever going to be booked for a fast-food spot ever again in the history of mankind, unless they can convincingly sound like they just got out of college or high school. There's no point in barking up that tree.

3.) The Epson piece is good, but that's not going to be your bread 'n' butter either, or at least I felt it was a totally different vibe from the rest of it. The Country bit, the Dickies...the warm and genuine without being too folksy - that's in your wheelhouse. Have the Epson clip like 4th or 5th.

Otherwise, nice work!
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Lance makes some great points above.

But performance aside, I think that you might wanna reconsider some of the advice you were given. Specifically, that "a commercial demo is the best way to start" if you're looking to book narration or e-learning work.

Sure, an e-learning producer will get some idea of what you sound like from a Commercial demo, but why leave it up to their imagination to take your voice and drape it over an e-learning script?

Wouldn't you rather have them hear your voice doing exactly what you'd like them to hire you to do? It takes their imagination out of the equation, and puts you front and center.

There's much more to it than just "what you sound like." The approach/tone/attitude to e-learning voice work are often very different than in commercial work. Plus, an e-learning demo is likely to put a potential client at ease, giving them the impression that you've done some e-learning before, and that you understand the ins and outs of that world. (They often have very specific file naming and formatting requirements, for example, that they'll expect you to be able to provide.)

Give yourself every opportunity to let them see you as an e-learning expert, not as a guy who does some voiceovers and might be able to do what they need.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - it's quicker to grow your business doing what you want to do. If you want to do e-learning and narration, target that. Great that you have this demo, but getting commercial work might be just about the hardest work to get (outside of movie trailers).
ram29642

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Lance and Doug for the comments so far. At least you don't think I"m out of my head for trying to get this started again!

I won't have much control over the mixing, but I am going to re-sequence and leave some on the production room floor.

I'll post an update soon.

Robert
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to wait and see what others offered before chiming in, and I've listened to the demo twice. I have mixed feelings.

Like Lance, I like your voice. It is most definitely unique and has a ton of friendliness and 'folksiness' in it. I DO think you may be limited in the types of jobs you'll be able to get though, because of the accent. ESPECIALLY if you want to get into narration or e-learning. I've had to fight my Southern accent all of my v/o life and it's nowhere near as pronounced as yours, so be aware that anyone wanting a 'neutral' accent, or a corporate style of delivery, is likely to pass on your voice.

And I didn't hear really any variety. I wanted to hear a bit of range, hear you stretch a bit, show some variation in energy level and mood (from, say, happy to anxious or pensive). While there were a handful of different clips on the demo, to me it sounded a lot like just one long demo.

I think Doug is right about focusing on a narration/e-learning demo if that's what you want to focus on doing. But within that, you might need to specialize even more and focus on subjects that your voice is best-suited for; obviously anything down-home, folksy or western. Consider audiobooks, too. It's hard work, and often the pay can be low, but it's also very rewarding for those of us who love doing them. And if you do enough of them, the monthly royalty checks can be nice. I've narrated a couple of western-themed books where I had to pull out my inner 'twang' and your voice would be great for things like that. Also museum narrations that deal with anything western.

Best wishes, and hope this helps a bit.

www.voicebyscott.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody marvellous! That's a $250,000 a year sound. That demo, wiggled a bit to prove you can be directed, will land a sprinkling of big gigs and plenty of time to go fishing. When the right people hear the right sound, big things happen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUg_52B0pFI

Find the magic!
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my personal experience as a producer - I do NOT use commercial demos to cast for longer form narration.
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I love this place. Kiss Kiss Kiss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: