VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apogee One

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Apogee One Reply with quote

Lee K. suggested an Apogee One to use with my MacBook Air, and after looking at USB mic interface options, I decided I liked that idea better than a Blue Icicle. So I bought one used on ebay. And I'm wondering if I did myself a disservice buying used.

1. The unit is apparently several years old and came with a CD with software. My Air is a 2012 and has no optical drive. I just plugged the unit in and it seemed to mostly work, but because I hadn't loaded any software as the setup guide instructed, nothing popped up when I plugged the unit in, and I don't have access to some options that the guide mentions. OTOH, I seem to have access to most of options via the "sound" settings in the main "settings" window. Am I really missing anything?

2. I assumed the headphone jack on the AO would give me monitoring capability, but after plugging the unit in and testing using Audacity, I'm getting way too much latency for the monitoring capability to be useful. In the Audacity preferences I tried hardware monitoring, which didn't seem to work, and software monitoring, which gave me high latency. I saw references online to some option for low-latency monitoring with the AO, but I don't know if "low-latency" means what I'm experiencing, or if it means truly low latency that's actually usable; and regardless, I don't seem to be able to get to where I need to to set that up, because I don't have the software that came with the unit.

3. The center knob is supposed to be multi-function -- turning for mic gain and output volume, clicking to switch between mics and speakers -- but clicking doesn't seem to do anything. Is this due to something missing on the computer (software, drivers, etc.), or is it an actual mechanical failure on the unit?

I'll keep Googling, just thought I'd throw this out here in case anyone is really familiar with the AO.

Thanks,
Rich
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, software question answered: I just went to the Apogee site (http://www.apogeedigital.com) and quickly found the software download page. I'll hook it up tomorrow and see what's different about the operation, if anything.

Rich
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install Apogee Maestro and search YouTube for help videos on how to configure it. My video on YouTube about the One is woefully outdated, the Maestro software is entirely different now (and less buggy).
Not as intuitive as it should be, but not rocket science, either. Devices with one knob come at a cost...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, George. Yeah, one-knob devices... I hate the fact that I can't just punch a button to turn my car stereo off, I have to keep it punched for three seconds!

I found a few videos, but, unfortunately, several wouldn't play (including your old one). I don't know if that's because of my internet connection (slightly problematic lately), or if something else is going on.

In any case, playing around with Audacity and the Apogee One, I figured out how to get it to record with low latency: set Audacity for hardware monitoring, and set the Maestro 2 output to mixer instead of out 1-2.

What still bothers me about this unit is that the click function on the knob still doesn't seem to work. Based on the setup guide, I should be able to click it until the speaker lights up, then use it for a volume control. This would be handy for adjusting the monitoring level. But clicking does nothing, so I'm left with adjusting the master out level in the Maestro 2 mixer. It's not a big deal, just less convenient. I guess that's what getting it at half-price is costing me.

I'll try it with Studio One 2 sometime soon.

Thanks
Rich
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a weird issue. I had a One at one point, and clicking the knob just switched between the gain level of the available options. Does it make a solid click when you push it?

The one knob thing was why I got rid of the Duet 2...but then I got a mixer and made that switch pointless.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, definitely a solid click. I can feel it and hear it. And... nothing.

Rich
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to have a look at this, if you haven't already

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/452534-apogee-one-duet-encoder-button-defect.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lee. Nice to know mine isn't the only one; too bad the tip in that thread didn't work for me. Mello

Whether or not holding the knob in will mute the output seems to depend on the amount of pressure I'm applying, even though the button has clicked every time. That, and the fact that clicking never gets me to the volume control, leads me to believe that the mechanism is simply faulty.

I'll just use it as is for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: