VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extracting or Ripping quality audio from DVDs (or CDs)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Extracting or Ripping quality audio from DVDs (or CDs) Reply with quote

I would like to redo demos by extracting audio from a few samples from my work. (At the moment specifically various region DVDs and some VRO files, but I suppose it applies to CDs as well).

I know that there are a few programs that purport to do this (some of them freeware), but has there been any comparison done of the resulting quality?

As I recall last time I tried, many of the results were rather disappointing.

I realize that most of these programs are meant for video and the quality of the audio is an afterthought, but for my/our purposes, we don't need the video, just the audio.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years now I have used AudioGrabber [www.audiograbber.org] with happy results. If you have a little "teckie DNA" floating around in your blood, AudioGrabber will accommodate you... as well as your non-teckie friends.

I hope you saved your audio as .wav files. When I first was learning digital audio I remember reading someone on a forum somewhere bash digital audio: Every time you rip audio from a CD, the result will be different.. Really!!! And every time my employer reads my payroll record from the computer drive to print my newest paycheck, I will be paid at a different rate, right? Because digital files never give you the exact data. Hogwash!!!

Now, if you have been saving your audio as MP3 files on CDs or DVDs, you may be retrieving files that seem "a bit off". Compression schemes do leave dents and dings in your audio.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffmpeg, which is cross-platform, probably lives in the secret shadows of many of the tools you can download for media manipulation and is almost infinitely configurable (and thus provides commensurate number of ways in which to shoot yourself in the foot):

http://www.ffmpeg.org/

If you're comfy at a command prompt, give it a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: