VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel Mic Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Travel Mic Recommendations Reply with quote

Apologies if this is a rethread, feel free to redirect!

I'm making a trip back to the states in August, and I know I'm going to have at least one large project to record while I'm there. I'm taking my porta-booth plus, but I don't want to cart my yeti pro back with me (cause it's massive) So I'm looking into a travel mic , preferably in the $100-$200 range.

I was going to bring my itrack solo (or hopefully my new mixerface if it arrives before I leave.) so I don't think I need another USB mic.
First thoughts are the AT 2020 XLR or AT 875R. Thoughts? Positive/Negative experiences? Any other contenders?

Thanks for the help!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Travel Mic Recommendations Reply with quote

sdaeley17 wrote:

First thoughts are the AT 2020 XLR or AT 875R. Thoughts?

I have an AT2020 that gave me several years of good service. Just before I took it out of service I thought it developed a bit of a change. One of my fears is that I left it out in the open one day when I was making one more small acoustic panel, and instead of going to the garage to spray "rubber cement" around the edges of the fabric, I did it in the studio. So did my mic wear out, or did a little big of flying, floating adhesive spray get into the mic?

I guess I need to go get the old trusted friend out of storage and run it through some A-B tests. Maybe my ears were just hearing flaws in the 2020 to mentally justify paying for a new mic. Embarrassed

For the price, (and size and weight during travel) the AT 2020 could be a good choice.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: AT 875r Reply with quote

The AT 875r is a good choice for a travel mic. Using one with the iTrack solo as my travel gear Smile

A nice combination!

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Gentlemen!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the AT2020 - rugged, sounds just fine, & it's cheap, so if it falls out of your pocket while paragliding, it's no big deal.

sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Todd and FinMac!

It appears I'm good either way. If only the AT 2020 was still $50, shoulda leaped on that when I had the chance. :(

Still, it'd be nice to have a shotgun for the occasional video...
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:

+1 on the AT2020 - rugged, sounds just fine, & it's cheap, so if it falls out of your pocket while paragliding, it's no big deal.

OH! I had forgotten about that incident. Paragliding down here in the hills and hollows of the south end of Appalachia is rough on mics in your pockets. Trying to land in the little clearings where the moonshine stills once stood will shake everything out of your pockets.... and your teeth too if they aren't permanent attached. (Replacing teeth is much more costly than replacing a 2020.) Sarcastic
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have found a solution! My friend is moving back to the states this summer, and he's trying to get rid of his Studio Projects B1 for $50.

Anyone know if this would be as good or better than the 2020?
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmho -- should work just fine.

Lapianoman
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no personal experience with the B1, but according to RecordingHacks, it's a very well made mic.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Studio-Projects/B1

The B1 is a large diaphragm mic, unlike the 2020. It also has a flatter frequency response & lower self noise. If it's a newer B1, it will also have a switchable pad & high-pass filter.

On spec alone, I'd take the B1, but it's no guarantee how it will sound with your voice & recording environment.

For $50, give it a try.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B1 travels a lot bulkier than the AT 2020... the 2020 is a bit more compact, yet sturdy to withstand the rigors of the road.. I have an AT 875r that I've been toting around and its super light and convenient..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on a similar discussion here, I bought an MXL V67N for about $100, although a quick check of Google indicates they're going for around $150 now. It's only about the size of a cigar, so it's pretty easy to travel with, although the wooden box it comes in partially negates that. It's not a bad sounding mic.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: