VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipad 4 vs. Ipad Air

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Ipad 4 vs. Ipad Air Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with either (or even both) of these devices?

I've been chomping at the bit to get an ipad for a while, and some decent deals have come up on Apple Japan's refurbished page.

I'm looking at either the Ipad 4 64 gb ($430) or Ipad Air 64 gb ($560)

Anyone think the size and speed difference is worth the extra $130?

Main uses are monitor/script reader/ pdf editor, some recording with TW, and loadin' up some kindle books, and maybe infinity blade 1,2, and 3 Wink

Thanks so much for the help!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting conundrum!

I currently use an old iPad for scripts. It sits on my copy stand and I transfer everything I want to it using DeskConnect... drag and drop text/pdf from the Mac to the iPad. (sometimes I'll use Dropbox if I want to work on it in Pages or whatever). It also serves as a mobile device for simple note-taking or content consumption. For mobile recording, I use an old black MacBook. Personally, I don't like to edit without the granularity given by a mouse (but that's me).

You may find that any price advantage the iPad offers gets eroded by keyboard, interface and specific iOS software. The Air will offer standard Mac functionality (I'm assuming you're already running a Mac) and you'll be able to use your existing software... and your existing USB devices.

I guess the real questions are:
1) are you already using a Mac with associated production software
2) will you be connecting a keyboard to the iPad
3) do you like the process of recording and editing on an iPad
4) do you want the touch interface for other apps (games etc)

I'm thinking about an Air myself... the old MacBook is a bit noisy when the fan cuts in, although it was given a new lease on life when I installed the SSD. I'd go for the Air and see how much an old iPad 1 will cost for the script work. I'm not a fan of recording on tablets. But that's me Smile
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curse you Mac for your recycled product names!

the Ipad Air is actually the latest ipad incarnation, Bish, after the ipad 4, or ipad with retina display or whatever the heck they're calling it these days. I have a Macbook Air as my primary computer, and love it! (Although it does get noisy after too much editing or video watching.) If I want to upgrade the computer itself, I'm thinking either Macbook pro or mini with SSD and a monitor.

I like the idea of having a multi use device that doubles as a monitor and quiet recording device if I need it.

Its basically a decision between something that's a little bit lighter, faster, and looks cooler, and something that's $130 cheaper, haha.

Sorry for the confusion! ( And the long story longer explanation!)
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Silly me... I saw "Air" and my brain went off in another direction. The price issue (obviously a MacBook Air is much more expensive) didn't strike me as you were talking refurbished. I like Apple refurbished stuff, there can be some good deals sometimes.

So, I may have answered a question... although not necessarily the one you were asking Smile

I shall now stand in the corner for ten minutes.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
I shall now stand in the corner for ten minutes.

Isn't that what voiceoverists do anyway? Rolls Eyes
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you game and/or hand hold it, you'll want the iPad Air, otherwise you'll never notice the difference...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George!

I'll probably will go with the Air then, as I'd like to use it as an e-reader.

I'm loving those TW stacks, by the way! Thank you!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: