VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing 1-2-3(-4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I recorded at my desk. The computer was less than three feet away.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the test Lee. #3 doesn't surprise me. I like small diaphragm mics for VO.

Frank, you should inform all the VOs making six figures plus (a bunch) that they're using the wrong mic.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not care to, I earn a tidy figure without a 416 (and I use a Schoeps for film audio, too, Not an MKH 416). Besides most of what you hear from those people who say they use a 416 is BS anyway.

FF
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
Besides most of what you hear from those people who say they use a 416 is BS anyway.

Hi Frank,

You called? (Or at least you used my initials) I am one of those people who use an MKH 416 for everything. TV Promos (I do a few a year), commercials (quite a few a year), eLearning (many per year), even audiobooks (several a year, sometimes more). Everything.

I am very happy with the way my voice and the microphone match up together. So are my clients. I certainly am not trying to change your mind. Just wanted to point out that at least one BS isn't completely full of same (I hope).
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bob you are one whom I can say is not full of it.

Some people can pull off the use of a 416, most not. Most (so-called) VO's over drive the in/outs, work it too close for comfort, and otherwise destroy what could be a good thing.

A shotgun microphone is designed for ENG/EFP (period). I have on occasion had a few folks want to work with a shotgun microphone while recording my voice for VO. I usually politely decline.

I have when appearing in films (not my favorite thing to do, as I have a face for radio) had shotgun microphones on fish-poles used in my presence. For this purpose they work well.

For ADR work, I have been forced to work with a shotgun (Schoeps) mic to match sound. Professional grips and gaffers will make sure the distance used when on-camera is also the same distance used when off camera. Ever seen how the pro's work with a shotgun microphone? That distance is usually three to five feet from the mouth of the victim - er - actor.

I have said it once and I will write it again: "Choose your poison. Which microphone works for one person may or may not work for you."

What I do notice is many of the so-called VO talent (not you Bob) who choose to use a 416 as a voiceover microphone harbor a deep desire to work in radio (AM radio at that) again or think they can be the promo king for their universe.

Ask yourself this question folks; How many professional studios do you work with would ever use a shogun microphone on a vocalist? How many? I am waiting..... And why not? If the MKH 416 is such a wonderful VO microphone would it not be absolutely wonderful for a singer?

F2
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horses for courses
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody get off Frank's lawn.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we're into a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge truck kind of debate again. They all do what they're supposed to do, yet you'll find strong opponents and proponents of each, and each one of them "feels" right to some people and not right to others. With mics as well as trucks, as long as yours gets you where you need to go, then we're all happy for you.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:

Ask yourself this question folks; How many professional studios do you work with would ever use a shogun microphone on a vocalist? How many? I am waiting..... And why not? If the MKH 416 is such a wonderful VO microphone would it not be absolutely wonderful for a singer?

F2

Although I've never worked with Jack Douglas or Phil Ramone, Jack Douglas used a shotgun on Steven Tyler of Aerosmith for "Back in the Saddle", and had him hold a 57/58, tricking him into thinking he recording into that. In the book "Making Records", it says Phil Ramone occasionally used a shotgun to record Paul Simon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have been reading Gearslutz.

Yes, a shotgun was used when recording Stephen Tyler for ONE song. The track was used for effects (EFX) only.

For Paul Simon a shotgun was used for video acquisition (for reference) on music videos.

I am still waiting to hear when a shotgun was used for Barbara Streisand or Chicago or Fleetwood Mac or....? Maybe as a middle mic on a drum set or overheads or maybe as a tight room mic on an acoustic guitar. But vocals? Not likely.

Frank F
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the Gearslutz forum for 15 yrs, Frank. I hung out with the founder of GS at AES San Francisco in 2004. Speaking of AES 04 San Francisco, this exact topic of conversation came up in the context of...there are exceptions to everything. So maybe a more accurate statement on your part might have been something to the effect of, shotguns are not GENERALLY used on vocals. Either way, the whole thing comes down to what works and sounds good. There a dude around here that says "if it sounds good it is good". Or something like that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though I like to needle Frank, part of me does agree with him that shotguns kind of rob my voice (no pun intended) of something essential.....

yet I have a 416, and have made a decent amount of $$$$ with it.

But there's no question that some days I love it and others not so much
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, someone has to do it, and you have been elected.

I stand by my words on a shotgun mic for VO (or vocals) - "If the MKH 416 is such a wonderful VO microphone would it not be absolutely wonderful for a singer?" And I add this: Why aren't more vocalists and producers using an MKH 416 for vocals on the stars recordings if it is such a wonderful microphone?

Some VO's have made a few coin with the MKH 416, many have not. The shotgun microphone is not an "industry standard" as many have purported. If the shotgun mic works for you; great. If it does not then it is time to find a realistically transparent microphone which was designed for VO (and/or vocals). No one microphone is going to be the "go-to" microphone for everyone.

I think I have beat this subject to death. Choose your poison.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: