VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ceiling sound insulation question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: ceiling sound insulation question Reply with quote

I'm finally coming around to upgrading my basement recording space so that I can actually call it a "studio" without feeling like a complete fraud. Unfortunately, I have two left feet, two left thumbs, and perform all my DIY projects according to the credo of "measure twice cut... aw crap!". So I am either going to go with a prefab vocal booth (with an external height of under 6', it would be more of a vocal cave or bunker), or I'm going to rope my DIY-savvy uncle (every family has one, no?) into helping me out when he comes to visit next month.

But I feel guilty. Surely there's something that even I am capable of doing before the bigger project begins. Then it occurred to me - the ceiling. I could probably stuff some Roxul between the joists without causing too much damage to myself or the house. In fact, since I will need to insulate the ceiling regardless of whether I go with the prefab or homemade room, I can do it right now.

...Hmmm, maybe I could do it, but should I do it? For one thing there is that whole two left thumbs etc. problem. I can take down the existing 1/2" drywall ceiling and stuff some Roxul between the joists, but no way, no how can I singlehandedly put a drywall ceiling back up there afterwards. That would have to wait for the handyman uncle visit. The current ceiling is acoustically bouncy and has a big hole cut in it for a lightbulb that dangles dangerously from a broken fixture. Not only does the ceiling-as-is do a rotten job of keeping external sound out, it invites it in for tea and plays ping pong with it. But if it does a better job than Roxul-with-no-drywall, then it will have to stay until my prefab uncle (or whatever) comes around.

Which brings me around (in a long-winded way) to my question to you fine folks: if I tear down that nasty drywall ceiling and stuff some Roxul in between the joists ( the joists are over 9" deep, so I could do a double layer if that makes sense) with only maybe a vapour barrier stapled in place under it to keep the space underneath dust free, would I be better off in terms of keeping external sound out than I am now with just the drywall (and no additional barrier of any sort) up there? Lots of appliance noise vibrating about on the ground floor over my head, and I will not be able to do anything further for a number of weeks, so I want to be sure to go with the best solution for the short-term. Should I have at it, or just leave well enough alone for now?

Here's how the ceiling looks now, for your edification and giggle-and-point pleasure...

dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your thought process, goal, and prose behind this project should make this a most interesting, informative and entertaining thread. I'm dialed in... looking forward to learning lots!

Dave
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of layers of Roxul would probably be better than what you have now, but you may still need a helper to assist you with the installation. Roxul can get a bit floppy and is heavier than fiberglass so it doesn't want to stay up in the joist bays with just a friction fit as readily as fiberglass would. You'd probably want to get a bundle of those stiff wire supports like these http://www.lowes.com/pd_12336-41075-716225_0__?productId=3125683 and jam them up there as quickly as you can to keep the Roxul from falling out.
And I'd be inclined to skip the vapor barrier. I'm not sure it would be of much use.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm with lee on the vapor barrier - i don't think you need it. here's what i did in a similar situation, i.e. low basement ceiling - crappy ceiling (not the pic) . after pulling down the old ceiling i used a piece of old paneling and cut it into 2" strips. i stapled the strips perpendicular to the joists & fed the insulation through - then screwed the sheetrock through the strips. easy-peasy.

also - as a third hand - you can make a simple "jack" by making a "T" out of two 2x4s - like this:

make the vertical length slightly taller than the ceiling & friction will hold your crap in place until you can get to it.

Foog
DC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, great stuff!

Lee, weren't you in the middle of a studio renovation project as well? I vaguely recall some fantastic pictures and then a disturbing silence. Mind you, silence is golden and is even the goal in this context, innit! At any rate, if I get my act together (a 50 - 50 proposition at the best of times) I'll post some pics of my project as well once I get going.

Todd, the third hand thing is brilliant. I'll definitely use it if I end up installing the Roxul on my lonesome. And then keeping it, errr, handy.

The vapour barrier is a terrible idea as far as insulation and moisture are concerned (probably even counterproductive indoors). I am thinking of it as no more than a temporary measure to keep my gear dust-free and I would take it down when installing the rest of the ceiling in the near(ish) future. Roxul is pretty clean stuff though. hmmm... maybe I can get away with just the exposed Roxul for a few weeks? (laziness is compelling, since it is its own reward!)

Is there anyone on team drywall, or is the consensus that I will indeed be better off with the Roxul, at least in sound isolation/insulation terms?
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog wrote:
I vaguely recall some fantastic pictures and then a disturbing silence.

The next pictures I could post are Roxul flopping out of the ceiling bays. I tried retaining them with more of the upholstery webbing I used to hold the insulation in the floor platform, but with only limited success. Then, there would be a shot of the ceiling drywall being supported by a deadman like the one in Todd's picture until I can get around to putting up the walls and thus supporting the edges of the ceiling. Two sheets of said drywall got warped while sitting awkwardly in the back of my truck and have spent the past week under the remaining four sheets in my attempt to flatten them. I suspect they are now as flat as they will ever be and those walls WILL go up this week. Then, there will be more pictures.

If your ceiling consisted of a double layer of 5/8" drywall with Green Glue in between, I might be inclined to favor that over the Roxul, especially if they were acoustically isolated from the ceiling joists. But a single sheet of 1/2" sheetrock nailed directly to the joists probably can't compete with the Roxul.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some work with Roxul and if you're going to be working over your head I would recommend a decent mask of some sort. I don't think you'll want to breath it. After it's in place it might be fine but moving it around will give off some dust.

And it's stiff enough to support itself in a wall. (if it's the right size) But, not a ceiling. It will require something to hold it in place while the rest of the ceiling is replaced.

Something you might want to do on your own? I wouldn't suggest it. As a bonafide "do it your selfer" if you have some good help coming you can do it together at least 5 times easier and faster than all by your lonesome.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still see a little curvature on the couple of warped pieces, but I guess I'd better get to work.

Foog
DC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting price quotes on booths that will fit in my basement. Whisper Room won't do custom sizes, but some of their competitors do. But tempting as it is to go with a nice, easy prefab booth, I'd rather have a space I can actually stand up in so it'll probably be DIY all the way.

Lee Gordon wrote:
You can still see a little curvature on the couple of warped pieces, but I guess I'd better get to work.
If anyone ever notices, just look em in the eye and say "What's that you say? My walls appear warped? *cough* I assure you, it's all part of the plan. Haven't you heard that studio walls shouldn't be perfectly square or parallel? Now get me a beer, I have work to do!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: