VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shure, Sennheiser, AT, Blue... thoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireside Grizzly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Shure, Sennheiser, AT, Blue... thoughts Reply with quote

This weekend is my "test drive" mics weekend. I have a small budget, but have faith I can find a decent mic in my range. I have read as much as I could find on mics (from an amateur's perspective at this point) and narrowed it down to 4 mics I can currently afford that I think have good potential. If any of you have experience or knowledge about these mics that can help inform my evaluation process I would appreciate it very much. I should say I'm not looking for a mic to add any warmth, but possibly bring out high tones in my voice. My plans are to primarily use it for narration. These made my list.

Blue Bluebird condensor
Shure SM27 condenser
Sennheiser MK4 condenser
AT4040 condenser
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT4040 or Studio Projects B1.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT 2035
Rode NT1-A

www.voicebyscott.com
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of that list I'd go AT4040.
OFF that list I'd go CAD e100s or Shure PG42 or Rode NT1 (not NT1-a)
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modded NT1a Smile
Fireside Grizzly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses. I've done a bit more researching and I think I will need to bump the Bluebird and add the CAD e100s to my list. However, a lot of reviews mention how great it is with a male voice. Is there any reason it wouldn't do as well with a female voice? In my research process, I found that you, Scott, had posted a rave review of the CAD e100s. The CAD is slightly above my budget, but if it sounds as good as it's reviews say it does I will try to figure out how to make up the difference.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget range, Fireside? I'm guessing $300 based on your choices, but the CAD isn't much more and can be had at both B&H photo video and zen pro audio for 359.00 with free shipping (zen pro includes a free CAD cable, and will even throw in a CAD pop filter for another $10 bucks

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/667336-REG/CAD_E100S_Equitek_E100S_Supercardioid_Large.html

http://www.zenproaudio.com/cad-e100s

I've heard great things about the Sennheiser MK4, but if you get it's proprietary shockmount, that'll set you back another $100, $30-$40 than the cad package with it's integrated shockmount and all the trimmings!

Best of luck in your search!
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for being contrary, but I think the Bluebird is underrated on the female voice....

And I'd be happy to share a spare at an affordable price.

PM me to work it out.

Inoccent
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping to the list supplied... and allowing for the fact that you're substituting the Blue for the e100s... I'd go for the e100s Smile

I've never had a good experience with AT mics (many have though). I cannot take Blue seriously... to me, they seem to be an exercise in style and marketing (sorry Don) to catch the kids at Guitar Center etc. I have no personal experience with the Shure & Senny. But I do have the CAD and love it (I'm a male tenor & I know female VOs who have bought it and love it).

Keep in mind that you can easily call the supplier and establish the return policy. Auditioning the mic in your environment should be the best way to answer your questions. If you buy a name microphone, resale at minimal loss should be no issue.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i, on the other hand, have had excellent experiences with AT - i have a 2020 in my travel rig and use a 4050 all the time in studio & love the way my voice sounds on it.

so --- there you have that.

Fireside Grizzly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am appreciating all the continued input. Sdaeley, you are correct on the budget, but hell, I could go without some groceries to make up the difference if I like the e100s, right? Wink

I've narrowed my list based on price, features, and online reviews. The only reason the AT4040 is still on the list is reviews. When I first started training last fall/winter I bought an AT 2500USB to "learn + practice". It sounded decent at first (even though it's a cheap USB), but then without warning, dropping, misuse or abuse it developed a horrible buzz/hum that won't go away regardless of placement, computer fan isolation, sound treatment, etc. (there are Amazon reviews describing the same experience) I also have to get uncomfortably close to it for any kind of decent voice pickup. So it has left me not so impressed with my first AT experience. I am trying to remain open, but do have that bias.

I was willing to drop the bluebird from the test list once I found a few reviews that said the neck is weak and can potentially break. Doesn't sound so good. But the reviews on the sound for it are still really great.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Blue I've ever played with is a Snowball, and I reserve it for use in yelling scenes. It takes that kind of abuse really well. Wink
chuckweis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireside Grizzly wrote:

I was willing to drop the bluebird from the test list once I found a few reviews that said the neck is weak and can potentially break. Doesn't sound so good. But the reviews on the sound for it are still really great.

I've owned a Bluebird for a couple years and the thing about the "weak neck" sounds like it must be from people who've been rough on the mic. In everyday, normal use, plugging and unplugging cables, taking it in and out of the shock mount, in and out of its box, I've never had a problem with such a thing.

And yes, it really does sound nice. It's always survived the cut through my many times of buying and selling other mics.
Fireside Grizzly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts on this. I ended up trying an MK4, Bluebird, and e100s. I eliminated the MK4 rather quickly. It has been hard for me to decide between the Bluebird (which I really do like) and the e100s. But having had a number of friends listen, it seems like the e100s is to be the "winner". Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: