VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SE Electronics 2200a II

View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: SE Electronics 2200a II Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the SE Electronics 2200a II? I've heard an awfully lot of good things about this mic.

Looking to replace my beloved SP C1v2, which is beyond a simple fix, and which the manufacturer will not support. The Studio Projects was used for countless projects..broadcast, narration, etc

Any major difference between the 2200a and the 2200a II?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOr what it's worth, I had the USB version of the 2200a and LOVED it. It had both USB and XLR connector possibilities.

However, there was a small technical problem unrelated to recording and I returned it for repair. The company stopped making them and sent me a newer, better mic in replacement, the sE x-1 (yes, they really called it that), and I am pleased with it. It emphasizes the mid-tones in my voice a bit better and is a solid mic. I've done several projects with it with no problems.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know quite a few people who use it for narration. It is not the quietest mic. It could also be muddy on certain voices if I remember correctly. I haven't personally used it, but have inspected the audio for quite a few users. Definitely a solidly usable mic, but for the price I would probably try to find a CAD e100s that will have lower noise. There is new one on eBay as of writing this for $324 shipped or B&H for $359.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the years I have followed various forums related to sound and recording. People who record music get really fussy about finding the perfect mic for a violin, which will be different than the perfect mic for drums, which in turn will be different than the mic for a sax. (And then they will break out into discussion over ALTO sax over TENOR sax!) And of course, you would not likely choose the same mic to record piano as you used to record a pipe organ.

In the voice-over world, we come closer to trying to focus on "the perfect mic" which we then sometimes assume is the perfect mic for EVERY human voice.

I am well aware that a number of regulars here had clearly stated that they have a fleet of two to four different mics which you use for various types of reads.

How do those of us who don't yet have a fleet know when we should acquire multiples, and how do we know when the latest acquisition was a mistake?

[ Is there a medical specialty that can write a prescription? cool ]
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
...and how do we know when the latest acquisition was a mistake?
... when you can't pay the mortgage that month Smile
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:

How do those of us who don't yet have a fleet know when we should acquire multiples, and how do we know when the latest acquisition was a mistake?

]

There's an awful lot of info on this board and online in general, as to how different mics work in different situations.. on my voice, a shotgun works better in my tiny Whisperroom.. at the contral desk, seated, an LDC or a dynamic like a Shure SM7B work better for long form narration.. the dynamic works better for dryer more technical reads.. the LDC works better for more Voice of God type of stuff and the Eminem Chrysler Detroit type of read that seems to be popular now..

when I say "works:" or "work better". I am gauging it on my booking success rate for auditions, and how happy the client is ultimately with the final project.. AND of course, what sounds good to my ears...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your main mic at the moment?
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

main mic is an AT 875r in the booth, which doubles as a travel mic. soon to be replaced by a Senn 416 or 415. the 875r is a real nifty mic for short money
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main mic kind of depends on what I'm doing. In the booth, it's an sE x-1 mic --it is a nice mic that does NOT emphasize the essy parts of my voice. Down in the green screen room we use a shotgun. For travel, I'm still trying to decide what to get. I had a snowflake that I swear I was only going to use for skype, etc, and then once on a trip, I got a call for a quick VO and I had it along, and it worked just fine for that purpose. We have a few other mics around that don't get a lot of use, except maybe in the field occasionally.
Branimir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sE Electronics 2200a, not II (I guess it can not be worse than the older brother). Since i have SP1, in my opinion SE is better for the class. much cleaner, mid range nicely front and deep tones are rich, something like Neumann TLM49. I heard your voice and I think you will not go wrong with sE.

www.epp.hr
www.croatian-voiceover.com
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the feedback..

mic shootout, kids..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/906044-mic-shootout-se-x1-se-2200a-iic-audio-technica-at4040-audio-samples.html

BTW, the according to the specs, the newer 2200a, or 2200a II, is 1 db quieter than the 2200a.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the Gearslutz sample file and played with it. And did a frequency analysis. If you run a Hi Pass Filter with a steep cut of everything below 90 hz, all three begin to sound much more alike.

Room tone is BAD in all three tests so comments about mic "self noise" based on this test are useless.

The recording was staged to peak at -9. A lot of forum discussions about noise levels seem to assume that a finished recording will be normailized to -3 which puts the noise level even in the best recording at about -35 dBfs. I would think that "self noise/internal noise" of the mic has to be at least 20 dB below the best room tone behavior.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a dude with the SE 2200a in his toolbox. can't say if it's his go - to

http://www.voiceoveruniverse.com/profile/PaulPape
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Don LaFontaine probably gave that SE2200 Paul after he was done playing with it in his studio. I walked in one day and Don was using it. Vendors sent him stuff to try out all the time.
SE, like CAD, have lousy marketing in the VO world, and make great bang-for-buck mics. I'd like to try their SE-x1 USB sometime.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE the sE x-1 USB and I like the sound. For my voice, it does need the gain to be boosted just slightly (unless I'm yelling). It's not a biggie -- I can compensate in software and it doesn't appreciably raise my noise floor (which is around -60 dB).

I'm also working on learning better technique with it -- I've only had it a short while, so still learning its quirks.

The sE X-1 has a -10 dB pad which I don't use unless I have yelling lines, and it has a bass rolloff switch. It's a tough little mic and for the cost, it's a good one to have in the collection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: