VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Converters Reply with quote

Interesting article I've just read from Graham Cochrane in the Recording Revolution...... let us know your thoughts.
Cheers
Peter

Nothing irritates me more in the audio world than seeing impressionable home studio owners being led down pointless rabbit trails in the name of “getting better recordings.”

There is a gospel of “better gear” being preached day and night on popular internet forums and all around the inter-webs that not only doesn’t help get people the results their after, it leaves them more confused and disenchanted than ever.
Why are we obsessed with converters?!
If can’t tell by now, the title of this email is chock full of sarcasm.

But the sad thing is, this statement is being made all the time.
Many of you even have been “convinced” by someone online that your converters are bad and you need to upgrade.

You might not have even known what converters were, let alone that the ones you already own in your audio interface aren’t “good enough” to do serious audio work.

I’ve read all the articles, watched all the video interviews, and of course taken part in many internet debates about the “blanket theory.”

You might know what I’m referring to.

People will say something like, “Once I upgraded to [insert more expensive converters here] I immediately noticed a difference in the sound. It was like someone had pulled a blanket off of my speakers!”

You know what else sounds like a blanket coming off of your speakers?

A high shelf boost of 2db on the mix buss.

Back in the days when Pro Tools users had to have Pro Tools hardware connected at all times, there were only a handful of audio interfaces I could use.

After upgrading from the original 2 channel Mbox to the multichannel 002 Rack interface, I was set.

I could now record full bands and drum kits. And that’s exactly what I did.

I had that thing for 7 years and used it on countless albums and live recordings.

Well, it became a well known “fact” that the converters in the 002 were “awful” and “unusable.”

That was news to me.

In fact, I was making a decent living in my studio and my portable rig helping people make great recordings, all with the 002 as the centerpiece of my rig.

It wasn’t until people told me that the 002 converters weren’t good enough that I ever even noticed.

I became paranoid instantly.

Just like anybody else I want my recordings to sound their absolute best, so of course I immediately began looking for ways to “upgrade” my converters.

But I could never justify the cost of either a mod, or an ADAT converter of some kind. It just seemed like a total waste.

So instead I decided to keep my money in my wallet and put all my focus on something that would actually improve sound quality: improving myself.

I worked on mic placement, gain staging, better arranging, strategic use of EQ and compression, and constant referencing of pro mixes.

All of these things have made major improvements in the final result of my recordings and mixes.

No new gear necessary.

And that’s what I’m getting at people. I have no doubt that audio to digital conversion technology gets better and better as the years go on.

Shoot, we used to only have 16 bit converters and people were still making Grammy award winning records on them (Frank Filipetti and James Taylor for example).

That’s the thing. Technology keeps getting better, but that has no bearing on your ability to make pro sounding tracks on your current gear.

The hard truth is, we all are desperately looking for an excuse to spend money on gear.

That’s what drives all of this in the end. The converters issue is no different from the new preamp, microphone, or plugin issue.

We’d rather buy our way to better recordings than practice our way.

The latter is far more effective and cost efficient my friends.

------
Thanks again for being a subscriber! Here's to making better music now!

Graham Cochrane
TheRecordingRevolution.com
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get a "Hallelujah" and an "Amen"?

Gearitis is inherent in the VO world with so many of us thinking the gear will make us sound better. I always ask: "Better than what"?

No matter the price or brand of your equipment ... if you do not sound good on your own, your gear ain't gonna fix it.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the "like" button when you need it?

Dave
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Some thoughts Reply with quote

Not wanting to start an argument I have some thoughts on the subject.

While agreeing with the writer on the overall theme there are a few things that came to me today while mowing the lawn.

Guys like me are drawn towards the gear section because the subjects interest me. I like reading about someone's new mic or audio chain and hearing the good results.

But in addition the subject is important to some degree. Competition in VO is very tough! While I agree that the Talent is the Numero Uno factor in finding work, if you gear or room stink then you won't be bringing home the bacon either. (Apologies to Bob Bergen).

When I first began auditioning on a P2P site my room was not up to snuff. Nobody told me that, I found out the hard way. When I listen back now to those auditions it is very clear why I did not book any of those gigs. (Wouldn't it be nice if they told you WHY you didn't book the gig ?)

So, after some time, my list of important factors for landing work are in this order...

1. The Talent
2. The Room
3. The Mic
4. MicPre
5. Cup holder
6. Other stuff

You might not agree with my list. But if the gear is not such a big factor then ask Frank to give up his "secret weapon", the Maag Audio pre and eq. Or tell those guys who own the Burl Bombers that they are just kidding themselves and a cheaper converter will be just as good.

All other factors being equal, if my audio chain sounds better than the next guy then I have a better shot at winning the gig.

I am working hard to improve the talent part with coaching and feedback from other talent, but I am also getting my room and audio chain to sound the best I can Smile

By the way, they made Grammy winning records before digital audio was around too!

So while I may not listen to those guys on GS, who may argue and curse each other all night about whose converters sound the best, I will work hard on finding what works best for me, without breaking the bank. That keeps me coming back to the gear section.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Now, which converters are you using ?

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an opinion similar to Finmac.

Everybody knows deep down that talent is the key. BUT with the market as competitive as it is today, every little thing can make the difference. Imagine that a new piece of kit is totally unheard by everybody but the talent that just bought it but the talent feels like its the greatest thing ever. Are they better off? Everything that I read about confidence behind the mic says they are.

If you have the chops to run a snowball and laptop...congrats. But for those of us that are still trying to learn something that, according to most "experts" takes a loooooong time, we need everything that we can get to help bridge that gap.

The key is learning what gaps you can close and the most effective way to do it without buying useless stuff.

I came into this knowing that my talent is new and needs work. I've had coaching and will continue to get more but my philosophy is make my room its absolute best, make my sound chain the best that I can, and be the best service provider in every business aspect that I possibly can be. I want them to only be disappointed in ONE THING; my talent. I can fix that. It will get better. Until then I need every edge that I can get.

I dont consider that gearitis. It's just managing your inventory.

I agree to some extent with the spirit of the article but I dont know that I agree with these blanket statements.

"We’d rather buy our way to better recordings than practice our way. The latter is far more effective and cost efficient my friends."

I think people are plenty willing to practice but if you can buy your way even partly there why wouldnt you if the clients cant tell the difference?
Also, I wonder if he;s checked the price of coaching lately because you can get a LOT of gear for the price of some bad coaching these days.

gary
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... yes now we're starting to cook, like good talk back radio, we have opinions that vary. In putting this topic up I simply found the article of much interest and did pick up on the point that it is easy to fall for the "buying our way in with better gear at the expense of improving our talent"

Scott I do remember when you first bought your ID22 you felt the converters in it really improved your sound. Is this still so? I remember going from my Apogee mini-me to the Duet firewire. The Duet just simply wasn't as good. Same room, position, and talent, although I'm not sure whether it was the pre's or the converters that contributed to that and I still do use the Duet with an isa one.

Also, I recall some time back Philip Banks saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that when he started, his advice from a studio engineer was to buy the best equipment that you CAN'T afford. I still think that IS good advice.

Cheers
Peter
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think high-end gear (like the U87ai) paired with an appropriate Pre-amp CAN give you an edge IF you already have good technique.

High-end gear like the above will bring out detail and nuance in your delivery in a way that IMO justifies the high price tag.

At the same time, mics like the U87 make a bad read sound even worse. Which is why they are not always the best choice for a beginner.

(And before you flame me, yes I know there are successful talents out there doing quite well with mics that cost much less than a pricey Neumann, which is proof that it's really all about what works for YOU)

And then there's the room treatment......oy vey.....

.....which brings us back to......"doing VO" is not for the interested or the intrigued.....it's for the committed. (And if you decide to get into this biz maybe you SHOULD be committed )

Okay, I'm done. Ninja

Last edited by Rob Ellis on Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Maag Audio PreQ4/EQ2 because I can, not because they are a necessity. I also often work "naked" (with a small inexpensive- clean, clear, and no color Pre - value new $79.00 and cheap Rode NT-1A) because I can.

Knowledge is an awsome thing, developing an ear for audio is priceless. When many people begin in the VO business they do not know a transient from an overtone or room noise. As they grow and learn what makes a good recording they find out about mouth clicks, room tone, noise, reflections and much more. Is their equipment better or worse? Are they better talent because they bought new gear? No.

If some of you had my equipment chain you would still be looking for something better or with more whistles, bells, and toys because someone else said this or that peice was "da'bomb". That is: Gearitis.

If I could go back in time and bring forward some of my original gear, I would still have a very nice system for VO. With all the tape hiss and analog foibles I still would present very good audio, It is not how big (or expensive or new or...) it is; it is how you use it!

Addendum: As you become more adept with your "ear"; you begin to notice more of the things which make you, YOU! You are you own harshest critic.

Learning what your clients want, need, and hear are skills which need to be encouraged and developed. What you hear and desire in your recordings is far beyond what a client or end-listener is aware of in the larger scheme of things. How many listeners hear what you hear on your studio monitors? How many are listening on FM radio, laptop speakers, an iPod or phone, or in earbuds? And if you are editing with earphone/earbuds you are hearing too much.

What makes you good is your talent, not your editing skills or your equipment unless it is not clean, clear, and colorless.

Have fun gang.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Converters Reply with quote

Yes Peter, to answer your question I still love the converters in the iD22!

And in an unusual way they helped book me a job.

An engineer/producer here in Finland heard my comparisons that were posted on SoundCloudy. He liked what he heard and tried to contact me. AT first I thought his attempts to contact me (he wanted to CHAT with me) were SPAM, so I just ignored them. But he persisted and finally mentioned he was a producer in search of a voice talent. He asked if he could get a demo for a client.

Sent the demo, the client liked it, and we booked the job.

I was happy and so was the client Smile

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much agree with what Graeme said in his article. I recorded some great sounding stuff on early digital gear that would likely be considered "crap" on some forums. I used low end mics because it was all I could afford, and I never listen to those recordings and hang my head in shame that I didn't have better gear. Don't buy the gear to get work, get work so you can buy the gear. Have fun upgrading, blowing money on it because it's your hobby, not because it's going to win you a job. It ain't.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, you reminded me of a VO I met who was getting great sound (and work!) using a snowball in a modified loo space. The talent was what got the person the work; the mic I suspect was secondary. I own a snowball, FYI, and it has saved my hiney on occasions when I had lines that really needed what that mic can deliver.

It's the talent, yes it's the equipment, but you can have "one a them Newmans" with no talent and it'll be a waste of mic.

I dunno... I agree that good equipment is good, but it's not the be-all and end-all... to think it is is sort of like saying a faster computer makes you a better writer...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: