VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acoustic treatment question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Acoustic treatment question Reply with quote

Not that I am at the point of putting any acoustic treatment into my unfinished boothroom (TM) yet, but on occasion I like to pretend to think ahead. I am planning on building some bass traps out of left over Roxul, perhaps some panels out of Sonopan I have lying around, and have some meagre funds left over for some Auralex foam. My question (other than: Sonopan? really?) is as follows:

Since my budget is limited, I need to know what will serve my needs better, more pieces of thinner foam (say 24 pieces of 1" thick foam) or fewer pieces of thicker foam (say, 12 pieces of 2" thick foam). Or should I consider 3" thick foam as a minimum for such a small space ( 4.5 x 7 x 6 (h) )?
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, (I think that's your name, right?)

I would not waste my money on ANY foam. Auralex and the like only provide treatment for upper and upper-mid range frequencies. The stuff you need to tame in your room is going to be much more in the low and mid-range.

Your budget is limited? Then use moving blankets on the walls of your studio. They won't look as snazzy as the foam, but they will do a much better job of taming the reverberations in your boothroom than the much more expensive foam products.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
Andrew, (I think that's your name, right?)

I would not waste my money on ANY foam. Auralex and the like only provide treatment for upper and upper-mid range frequencies. The stuff you need to tame in your room is going to be much more in the low and mid-range.

Your budget is limited? Then use moving blankets on the walls of your studio. They won't look as snazzy as the foam, but they will do a much better job of taming the reverberations in your boothroom than the much more expensive foam products.

Hi Bob,

You have an excellent memory - my name is indeed Andrew. (I should get around to making a sig file or somesuch for the bottom of my posts.)

I've been told more than once that the big woes with small rooms are the lower frequencies, and even I listen when I'm told something repeatedly by wiser souls than I. To that end I was planning to use some floor-to-ceiling toblerone-shaped Roxul-filled traps in the corners.

But my walls and ceiling are hard drywall and I know that I will need something more than just bass traps. The problem will be figuring out what extra treatment will be sufficient: foam that cuts down only the higher frequencies, or some DIY flat panels out of Roxul or fibreboard or somesuch that'll eat up some more of the lower end, or a combination of both foam and DIY panels. Yes, like a bird to a shiny bauble, I am still drawn to the idea of foam in spite of its limitations.

And I gotta admit to some reluctance to using moving blankets after going through all the trouble of building the room. Not that aesthetics are my top priority - I'll cover the walls in chicken wire and paper mache Maoist pamphlets if that is what gives me the best sound treatment. But still... all things being equal, if I was willing to drop a few grand on building materials, not to mention many, many days, splinters, and swear words to build the thing, I probably shouldn't balk at a few hundred more if it means I can avoid hanging blankets on the wall. Plus I suspect that panels or a panel/foam mix would give me better absorption/treatment than blankets. (Though in this, as with most everything I opine on, I could be horribly, terribly wrong. And if I am, please let me know.)

...And then there's my ceiling, which is still a problem. It's too low for a proper cloud, and too low for any sort of panel even, really. So I'm thinking either foam or Sonopan there, whichever is more effective. Or something else I may not have thought of? Any suggestions?

Last edited by Foog on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATSAcoustics.com, one stop shop. Get a combo of 2" and 4" thick panels. Go the DIY root if money is really tight. Fewer and thicker is better than more and thinner in a tiny room.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recycled denim from Home Depot. You can get a 6-pack of 2" 16"x48" sheets for $36 shipped to your house free. Then just staple it to the ceiling and bunch it just a bit so that there are air gaps.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent suggestion. I first saw the recycled denim solution in a theater in San Francisco. It was used backstage and really worked well.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the recycled denim ... super easy to work with & no off-gassing.

Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it isn't the prettiest thing to look at. You could easily just tack a piece of fabric up by the corners that will hang just barely below (like a half inch) the insulation.
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or cover it with a frame. Stretch burlap over the frame so it can allow sound to filter through.

This page from my studio build will show you what I mean.
http://voiceofmonk.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-05-21T06:52:00-07:00&max-results=7&reverse-paginate=true

www.monksvoice.com
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with a Supercardioid mic and a high pass filter.

Booths rarely sound better than a larger room with some treatment.

Depending on the size of your room/booth, buy some heavily upholstered chairs or a loveseat off Craigslist. You'll be surprised how much that'll help.

I'm also a fan of moving blankets for cutting down on reflections on walls. I always hang heavy curtains over them for an extra layer and to look a bit nicer.

I've done all of the above in a 10 x 12 basement bedroom, and it sounds very good. Not dead, but no odd sound issues.

I've also used the same approach in a commercial studio location I have. Blankets and drapes and lots of cushy furniture. No complaints from talent or agency suits.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
+1 on the recycled denim ... super easy to work with & no off-gassing.

I think that may depend on who last wore those jeans and what they were eating that week. Ninja

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: