VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-Mic Shootout on a Lady

View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: 2-Mic Shootout on a Lady Reply with quote

The shootouts are usually posted by the distinguished gentlemen in our midst, so I'm hoping you will find this exercise somewhat novel, even though it's been done hundreds of times in the archives.

Mic 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgjumrngtvelle2/JMK_mic1.mp3?dl=0
Mic 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bjkp100i247oa6/JMK_mic2.mp3?dl=0

I really don't want to give any info because I'm very interested in hearing your opinions on the sound of each, but if you have any questions, ask away. Please excuse the mic technique - I'm still experimenting with placement, angles, etc.

Thank you for lending me your ears.
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Julia, listening way down here in New Zealand you sound great on the mic. Mic 1 is more natural in sound while Mic 2 sounds hotter, like your just about to appear out of the speaker. Is there any processing? On both mics I can hear a bit of room tone especially on mic 1, also on Mic 2 you may be too close on the mic. Perhaps move around and find those sweet spots on the mic. FYI I've listened on studio monitors.
Cheers
Peter
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia I've just tried a real world situation and listened on small computer speakers. Here I don't hear the room tone and Mic 2 is nice, warm and close. Nice clean sound. Mic 1 is good but just not as present.
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback! The exact same processing has been applied to both recordings because my noise floor sucks. I had a feeling I was too close to mic 2, so that is very constructive. Thank you so much. I am still trying to find my ears in this art form.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the two files and "peeked and poked" around the files.

#2 seems to have some Proximity Effect at play. Using Adobe Audition, I did a 'high pass filter' where I rolled of everything below 180 hertz with a slope of 12 db per octave. Now when you display the "Frequency Analysis" the file ends up with a frequency curve that matches recording #1. But they don't sound exactly the same!

This is a test I have wanted to run since a conversation here in the forum a few days about Proximity Effect. Prfoximity Effect usually happens because the person speaking in very, very clost to the mic. But it can also occur in the mic is too close to some hard object: the wall behind it. The monitor speaker or the computer screen too close to one side.

From conversations I read in various forums there seems to be a "conventional wisdom opinion" that proximity can be repaired by simply filtering off the excess low frequencies. My experience tells me that is not toatally correct. There is a TIGHTNESS or a RIGIDITY in the sound in addition to the increased low frequencies. My crude analogy is that it is like recording a tune played on a fine quality wood violin, and then giving the artist a violin made of concrete.

Good acoustics is like being suspended on bungee cords; acoustics containing proximity effect is a little like being suspended on stiff steel cables. Sometimes that is a good sound for the read, sometimes that is a bad sound for the read.

So play with the location of mic 2... both in relation to your mouth, and in relation to surrounding objects.

But yes... Mic 2 does have more room noise. Maybe 6 dB more. But after you processed the files, even the noise in the Mic 2 sample is pretty well down where we are wanting to be... down in the -60 range.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could pepper this response with jargon but there is no point. I hear your room and I shouldn't be able to hear your room. Deal with that issue first.
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both so much for listening, and for the feedback. Messages received!
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
I downloaded the two files and "peeked and poked" around the files.

#2 seems to have some Proximity Effect at play. Using Adobe Audition, I did a 'high pass filter' where I rolled of everything below 180 hertz with a slope of 12 db per octave. Now when you display the "Frequency Analysis" the file ends up with a frequency curve that matches recording #1. But they don't sound exactly the same!

This is a test I have wanted to run since a conversation here in the forum a few days about Proximity Effect. Prfoximity Effect usually happens because the person speaking in very, very clost to the mic. But it can also occur in the mic is too close to some hard object: the wall behind it. The monitor speaker or the computer screen too close to one side.

From conversations I read in various forums there seems to be a "conventional wisdom opinion" that proximity can be repaired by simply filtering off the excess low frequencies. My experience tells me that is not toatally correct. There is a TIGHTNESS or a RIGIDITY in the sound in addition to the increased low frequencies. My crude analogy is that it is like recording a tune played on a fine quality wood violin, and then giving the artist a violin made of concrete.

Good acoustics is like being suspended on bungee cords; acoustics containing proximity effect is a little like being suspended on stiff steel cables. Sometimes that is a good sound for the read, sometimes that is a bad sound for the read.

So play with the location of mic 2... both in relation to your mouth, and in relation to surrounding objects.

But yes... Mic 2 does have more room noise. Maybe 6 dB more. But after you processed the files, even the noise in the Mic 2 sample is pretty well down where we are wanting to be... down in the -60 range.

Beautifully put and fully agreed with. Thanks for a thoughtful insight that strikes a chord here.
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reminded that I never revealed the mics. In case anyone was curious:

Mic 1 = Rode NT1A
Mic 2 = Senn MKH 416

Both recorded in 3.5x3.5 double walled whisper room with acoustic panels and bass traps, in a building that rumbles a lot.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #1 better. Better balance and noise level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: