VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet Another Booth Build Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Booth Build Update Reply with quote

I didn't realize it has been six months since I posted any pictures of my booth build. (This is the thread: http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16957&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ) So I guess I ought to post a few more, for anyone who is interested.

The walls and ceilings are stuffed with two layers of Roxul Safe 'n Sound. It's floppier than fiberglass, so I needed to use some more upholstery webbing to keep it in place before hanging the drywall.

Sheetrock will be acoustically isolated from the wall studs with "hat channel" furring, attached with these resilient clips.

And here, the hat channel is installed.

All but one piece of the first layer of sheetrock installed. This picture was staged because right about this time, I got a VO job for Roxul. So I dragged the remnants of a bundle into the room to snap this shot and send it to them.

Here, you can see the second layer of sheetrock on top of the first.

Green Glue slathered on the back of one of the pieces of sheetrock that form the second layer.

Mudded and taped.

Inspired by Jordan Reynolds, I decided to add a panels of sheetrock (with Green Glue) to the inside of the doors. Since I didn't want exposed drywall inside the booth, I decided to cover them with fabric.

Here's that panel installed on the left. Another one went on the right.

Today, as I added acoustic treatment to the walls, I recorded the the changes and took a few pictures. I'll post those pictures in their own thread.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Lee!

Are those genie clips I spy, or some other variation on the decoupling clips? Don't tell me how much they cost you, I will only weep at horrible Canadian prices if you do.

What did you do for ventilation? I am currently busting my brain trying to come up with the right configuration that will give me sweet life-sustaining oxygen but stay quiet about it, galdarnit! I'm currently thinking some variation on what this guy did: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-traps-acoustic-panels-foam-etc/912232-diy-vocal-booth-ventilation.html

Also wondering about your door. Did you build it right up to the top plate of the frame? I only have 6' floor-to-ceiling clearance and if I can do the door without having to bother with a header and all that, it would be less of a hobbit hole. Which would be nice.

At any rate, it all looks great and the timing is perfect to inspire me for the next phase of my build. Handyman uncle comes over for another visit tomorrow, and we gots work to do we does!

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are, indeed, Genie clips. I think they were about five bucks apiece. I believe I bought 25 of them, used 24, and had one spare to take to Faffcon for Show 'n Tell. The upside is, hat channel is an off-the-shelf item at Home Depot and, thus, the combination is still cheaper than buying something like Auralex resilient channel. I miscalculated and bought about twice as much hat channel as I needed, but that still puts me out less than $20. And I'll find a use for it someday.

The door is a custom made solid core (1 3/4" thick) double door with heavy duty weatherstripping and three heavy duty ball-bearing hinges on each side. Including the jamb, it is 81" tall and 37" wide and was the smallest double door I could get using standard components. Anything shorter or narrower (for a double door) would have cost me hundreds extra to cut down the doors themselves. The sill sits directly on the floor platform (bottom plate cut out, as is standard building practice), and the top is screwed directly into the top plate. There is no header because there is no structure to support above the door. I just have a couple of rafters in joist hangers between the front and back top plates. Above that is just a layer of mass loaded vinyl and the same 3/8" plywood that the exterior walls are sheathed with.

Here is a shot of the door before I skinned the front wall. It's a double top plate, which you can't see because it's obscured by one of the beams that supports the dormer/bedroom above. Actually, we installed the door before attaching the upper top plate on the front wall, so you can see daylight where it ultimately went.

markjmckenzie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently in the middle of building my home studio in the basement. I'm using DB-3 (Mass Loaded Vinyl) as well as Denim Insulation. Has anyone here used DB-3/MLV before?? Everything that I've read about it is positive.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markjmckenzie wrote:
I'm currently in the middle of building my home studio in the basement. I'm using DB-3 (Mass Loaded Vinyl) as well as Denim Insulation. Has anyone here used DB-3/MLV before?? Everything that I've read about it is positive.
Greetings my fellow Canuckistani.

I vaguely recall a number of threads where denim insulation came up, but I think people were mostly discussing either using it in acoustic panels or in windows to help isolate the room. If you poke about the search function you may find some talk of the MLV-denim combination.

Though why anyone within a couple hundred miles of Milton would go with anything but Roxul, which *HACK* is great fun to handle *COUGH* especially if you are an idiot and forget to *KEF KEF* wear a mask, is *COUGH* beyond me. ACK! FER THE LURVE OF GAWD WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY THROAT??! AARRRGGGHH!

markjmckenzie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see fellow Canadians on here!

I'm a spoiled Canadian, being that I live in Windsor, Ontario (which is a stones throw from Detroit, Michigan). I traveled over the border and was able to hit up Menards for some good Denim Insulation and Green Glue.

All the reviews I have read regarding DB-3/MLV have been great, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try. Better safe than sorry. I should have taken some pictures from the start, so I could show the progression from framing, to electrical, and so on.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose if you can't find the denim insulation, you could stuff an old pair of jeans with pillows and hang them on the wall... THAT would be ... unique. Wink
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to put my soundproofing through a pretty good test today, and I'm fairly pleased with the results. The MDC (water works) is just outside my house, about 20-25 feet from my booth, with several pieces of heavy excavating equipment, digging up my front yard. From inside my house, I can easily hear the engines running and even feel the low frequency vibration they are generating. But stepping inside the booth and bolting the door, I can neither hear nor feel them.

Foog
DC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting uncanny. Not only am I building a similar booth (genie clips and all!), but the Waterworks folks are going to dig up my street soon - the survey crew was measuring things up last week. What size are your feet? (bear with me Lee, it's all in the name of science!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: