VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New, simpler Adobe Audio editing software..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: New, simpler Adobe Audio editing software.. Reply with quote

My video buddies are very excited.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/soundbooth/

Why both Adobe Audition and Adobe Soundbooth?
While Adobe Audition is designed to give audio professionals in music, film, video, and radio a flexible audio production toolkit that can handle a broad range of audio engineering tasks, Adobe Soundbooth is focused on creative professionals without audio expertise, or those who prefer an application focused on making short work of the most common tasks they handle every day. The tools in Soundbooth remove the mystery from editing while preserving superb sound quality.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds interesting to me. I use Adobe Audition, but many times feel overwhelmed by the whole package. AA Lite might just do the trick.

The Voice of Bob
Gp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out this beta version and it seems a little too simple. No ability to laod in any plug ins....at least in the beta version. Might be great for a quick record of something....try it yourself and see. The beta is free. There are some files you can download and also a forum it looks like.
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP - I looked at the P D F file and came away thinking this thing looks like it might be rather awkward to use, requiring a lot of steps with an interface that is not very intuitive. Then again, the folks who write instructions often use several paragraphs to explain something when only a single sentence would be enough - and then give a single sentence when much, much more information is required.

What's your opinion? Is it easier to use than I am thinking? Or does it require a user to struggle with a difficult learning curve?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review of Soundbooth by Adobe Systems:

Originally when I saw this post I was amused, but after looking into the "Soundbooth Program" I find it at least interesting.

"Soundbooth" is almost like the "Edit View" of Adobe Audition, without many of the bells and whistles. Several questions came to mind as I read the documentation such as: does it do Direct X and/or VST effects? This was never answered. Why is this touted as being easier than Audition to use? Again, never answered. Does this program support any third party FX. Not answered, but in the forum, the answer is NO.

"Soundbooth" is interesting as it could be something along the lines of Sony's Sound Forge (When it was created by Sonic Foundry - are we digressing in the audio world already?)... in the early versions.

I chose NOT to download and try "Adobe Soundbooth" as there were several hundred comments in the Forum about it creating crashes on the computer or locking up, etc.

It is quite interesting in that there is a Mac version and a Windows version available.

With it's not-so-simple interface, Soundbooth seems way too basic for even the beginner VOA (Voice Over Artist). It has some capabilities of being used for mixing a couple of songs together or recording some VO to be edited in another program (maybe, Audition?) The unique feature was the "make your own music bed" thing - which is becoming popular nowadays... However at the cost for the music discs required by the program - it is not something I would use professionally for sure... Cost is way too much for a little feature.

Overall, I would not consider this as a likely program for a Newbie or Wannabe in the VO world. Much more useful and with better documentation are some Freeware which offer a plethora of features - and they are not "beta" or have a price tag that will be attached.

Again, this is my opinion and not for those with weak stomachs, your milage and opinion may vary. I stand by what I think about this "review" and it does not reflect upon the opinions of anyone or any other person - dead or alive. This review is not intended to sway your opinion in any way or another... so there.

Toodles

Frank F
Gp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a whole bunch different than the built in record features you get for free with your OS. You push the red button, the only thing active on start up of the program, a window then pops up with settings. E.g. Device, port, sample rate, stereo/mono and another section for saving the file. A vertical bar graph within the same window shows levels. It has 4 different effects: Analog/delay, chorus flanger, compression, and vocal enhancer.
The interface is rather clunky and not all that intuitive. Not that hard to figure out really but...to me this program seems like a program waiting to find a place to fit in. It might be best put on the "Isle Of Misfit Toys"
However, that's just my opinion.
BTW Don...it's probably easier to use than they make it sound.....most things can be figured out with a little T&E.....there just really isn't a whole lot to the thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: